• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'98 Xj won't start HELP!!!!!!!!!!

KellyS.

NAXJA Member #1370
I recently picked up a 98 XJ Sport that had been sitting for about a year (4.0, auto). The battery was dead and we jumped it to get it started (I drove it around). I trailered it home, I tried to jumpstart it again and now it won't start. I put a good battery in it and it still won't do anything. The key turns over but I am getting noting from it. After turning the key, I can get the accessories to work. I have tried putting the tranny in neutral and it still won't start. I pulled the starter and it had it tested and it is woeking fine. Any idea????

So the battery is new/charged, correct? And you're in park or neutral? Try starting in neutral if you haven't already.

~Scott

Slow down and take a breath!

Ok, so with the new battery it will not crank, or cranks and won't start?

Your problem could be cables, grounds, starter relay, starter, starter solenoid, ignition switch (not the key), and even that "good" battery, and the AW4's lovely NSS.

We need a clearer idea of the symptoms. When you say "key turns over but you are getting nothing from it", it is still not clear if the starter motor is cranking the engine over when you turn the key or not. "Crank - not start", is totally different from "won't crank". In any event, the best thing to do now and to save you from a lot of guessing, is to charge the battery up good with a charger. You need to remove the battery terminals from the battery to clean them anyway. Clean them with sandpaper or scotchbrite, then with spray start of electrical cleaner. You should also do this with all the grounds and starter connections. Also, if you have the crummy battery terminals where the wires clamp into the connections with clamps, take that stuff apart and clean it. They really should be eliminated with a better system, even though they are not uncommon.

Please let us know what happens. And don't worry about the smart asses. It's just something you have to get through on this forum.

I had a similar problem recently. My connections were clean, battery and starter good. Click, click. Wire ends were tight on cable but they were crimped on with pliers or something. I got some wire crimpers and crimped each wire end and it started right up.

Back