• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Few issues left.

camarors8992

NAXJA Forum User
I got the CEL issue all straightened out, because of the awsome help I got here! After replacing the motor in my cherokee I fell in love with it again and i'm looking to fix some of its problems. Any speed above 60 I get a terrible shake, it sometimes goes away while going around a bend. Also, the steering wheel feels extremly sloppy. While traveling at highway speeds I can move the wheel about 2-3" to the left and right and it will not affect the direction I'm traveling. It's not as bad in city driving, but it's still sloppy. I also have this anoying ticking sound coming from under the hood, almost sounds like a metal clank more than a tick and it occurs while accelerating or braking. Thanks for any help or advice you can give. :)

Vehicle Specs:
1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport
4.0L from a 1994 Jeep Cherokee Sport
Automatic transmission
NP231 Transfer case
213k on the clock.

Check the track bar for sloppiness. Have someone crank the wheel back-n-forth while you inspect and feel all the joints for play. I'm betting you'll find the upper joint on the track bar is worn out and moving.

can you buy replacement bushings ? I tired searching on advance's site and cannot even find the track bar. Is there another name for it ?

ah, TracK bar, lol I forgot the k. Thanks! So you think a new bushing will solve the shaking on the highway ?

Back