• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'95 gauges fluctuate, '96 don't?

lilredwagn

NAXJA Forum User
Nothing really wrong but thought I'd throw this out there and see if anyone had any thoughts.

I killed the oil, gas and temp gauges on my '96 by breaking the coil wires (in the gauges) trying to be clever about 2 years ago. At that time, my needles were always solid and accurate. Oil usually around 40, gas gauge stayed steady even on hills, and while the temp fluctuated, it wasn't something you'd see while watching it.

2 years later got off my duff and replaced them with gauges out of a '95

Now the gas gauge while accurate, fluctuates almost a quarter of a tank under hard braking/acceleration. The oil pressure idles at 20 and jumps to 40 at the tap of the gas. You can see the temp gauge move down 10 to 20 degrees in a matter of seconds when the jeep moves from a stop and gets the air flowing.

I don't think any of this is out of line with "normal" jeep behavior, right?

But one would think that identical gauges with the same windings and resistors would result in the same readings and performance..

I know 96 had some NVH and other tweaks that previous models didn't have Was there a modification to the '96 gauges to quell their jumpiness that hasn't been widely reported?

Could just be a voltage/resistance issue.

What is your voltage between the battery posts at idle? When you rev the engine?

my 96 gas gauge behaves pretty much the same way, hard braking and hills can cause it to move around. The oil moves from 20 at idle to 40-60 when warm, not instantaneously but with a smooth motion over say 1-2 seconds when accelerating. Temp gauge moves up when it heats up & down when the fans turn on.

I would not describe any of them as bouncing though, usually takes the second or two mentioned above to minutes in the case of the temp.

Back