• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Flex...SUCKS.

FishyXJ

NAXJA Forum User
After installing the RE Control Arm Drop Kit yesterday, the XJ is flexing AWESOME in the front -- but the problem is that the rear is not even on the same level...the flex of the rear is just plain CRAP.

Current setup is a Rubicon Express 4.5" with Springsb (3.5" leafs + shackle).

Without spending thousands, converting to a 4-link, etc What are the options to get more flex in the rear? I'm willing to spend a couple hundred, but not a couple thousand.

Rusty

Welcome to leaf springs. Not much you can do, assuming you removed the sway bar, have long/short enough shocks (make sure they aren't hitting while flexing either at their full compression or droop), and your brake line is long enough.

~Scott

i run revolver shackles and that helps quit a bit and i have a set of z boxes that were made for an xj... i never ran them but the guy i got them from said it really helped in the flex department but side hills are a bit awkward when real top heavy... just an idea.

After installing the RE Control Arm Drop Kit yesterday, the XJ is flexing AWESOME in the front -- but the problem is that the rear is not even on the same level...the flex of the rear is just plain CRAP.

Current setup is a Rubicon Express 4.5" with Springsb (3.5" leafs + shackle).

Without spending thousands, converting to a 4-link, etc What are the options to get more flex in the rear? I'm willing to spend a couple hundred, but not a couple thousand.

Rusty

Any pics of the flex?

hd shackle relocation, worked for my rear flex and ride!

could be the spring rate, the z boxes that allow shackle movement will help, revolver shackles have mixed reviews, I have never run them personally but the scuttlebut is that they tend to unload while going down steep inclines at unpredictable times which is never fun.

also you have removed your rear sway bar correct? and it look like you need to trim.

hd shackle relocation was a consideration as well -- the only reason we stepped away from that was because it lifts the rear (requiring to swap coils on the front darnit!). What if we pair the HD shackle relocate with the revolver shackle?? Is that overkill??

zbox is out of the question. We looked under the jeep tonight and the rear sway is definitely disconnected. It was removed with the lift.

Trimming is very soon. The grinder is all warmed up and ready to cut, just waiting till 33s wear out -- then 35s and trim.

Last edited:
Do not do the revolvers, they suck. They are known to unload going downhill and have other issues. Do some more research on them and you'll see...

I had real soft (tired) rear springs that flexed as good as my front and didn't like it. Jeep felt really tippy in off camber situations. The stiffer ones I have now just make the whole rig seem a lot more stable.

I run an 8inch long shackle and the 2 longist jeep leafs and the 2 main leafs on a s-10.
So I have 4 leafs on each side and my shackles, I get 6inchs of lift.

Its soft!!!

Shackle relocation only gives about 1" of lift (people i have talked to) I'd rather have it a little higher in the back, that way when you are loaded down with gear it evens out.

Back