• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Off Topic - Optometry $$ Glasses

88trailcrawler

NAXJA Forum User
I know, this is nothing to do with Jeeps.

Went to the eye doctor first time in like 5 years. Pick up new glasses tomorrow, just pulled the invoice and looks like I paid way too much for my glasses. Problem is I can't figure what the line items mean on the invoice been searching the web trying to decode and check prices to see if they made a mistake.

Everyone knows the So Cal Naxja guys are better than GOOGLE! (ha ha)

So....anybody in the optometry business? Or know someone who is?

Long shot I know.

you try www.bing.com yet? Seems to find things that google wont sometimes.

HTH

call the office and ask them to explain each item, cant hurt to ask

I will tomorrow when I pick them up, I was just trying to get some pre-info.

Found some info, think I was able to determine the line items. Looks like I just got charged straight up retail for each one.......oh well. Next time I will just take the prescription and order on-line.

I wear single vision glasses. My last pair was over 300 bucks. The most expensive part was the auto darkening lenses. I forget what they call that.

KH

Well dang! these are progressives (3 correction zones)

Frames were $325.00. Some fufu designer frame, still charged me MSRP
Lenses were $ 245.00 I guess because of the progressive correction
Upgrade $ 85.00 for polycarbonite lens material
UV coating $ 125.00 (Crizal)

They had no real answer for the costs, except typical location, service and quality. They did explain the differences in UV coatings, Polycarbonite materials that are used and techniques for machining the lenses.

Made me think of my camera lenses and there can be a huge difference from one to the other even though they look about the same on paper.

Oh well, I guess time will tell if these are that much better than my previous costco $ 200.00 pair.

The more you do to a lense, or the more you expect it to correct, the spendier it gets.

I've got single-vision poly lenses (I need the poly for impact resistance, and it keeps weight off of my nose...) which come bundled with the UV coating (I don't have a choice. Get the UV coating or get a hole burned in the back of my eyeball at this point. VisLight focusses to a useful image, UV to a pinpoint.)

I found out this last time that they do the "photogrey" (what's it called now, "Transitions?") with the high-impact, high-index poly - I've been waiting for that!

I get the 1m/m centre thickness to keep the lense weight down.

Designer frames I don't care for - while my frames aren't clunky (like issue BCGs,) they're not "super-wifty." I get the spring temples for comfort, I think my frames run somewhere around $100-125 for the thing. I keep two sets - that way, when I get replacement lenses, I can send out one frame with them and the the lense ground to fit - then leapfrog the next time. Genetics and trauma run against me, I almost invariably require new lenses every year.

Progressive corrections are more difficult to grind than traditional bifocal/trifocal lenses, simply because you have to "hide the lines." If they didn't, it would cost somewhat less.

Two factors that can drive up the cost of lenses in a hurry:
1) Progressive correction (for the reason given above.)
2) High-diopter correction. Why? There's this little thing with lenses called "chromatic aberration." It's the same thing that makes a prism work - different colours of light focus at different points through the same lense - because the different colours have different wavelengths, and bend differently.

At low levels of correction (say, <5 diopters either way,) it's not a big problem. You get up around where I am now (>-10 diopters & +2 cylinder for astigmatism,) and it becomes a big problem.

There are three basic corrections ground into a lense.

--Sperical or sphere (or diopter) - this is the basic correction for myopia or hyperopia (nearsightedness or farsightedness.) Postive diopeters for hyperopia, negative diopters for myopia.
--Cylinder - this is the correction for astigmatism (a "wave" deformity in the lense or cornea of the eyeball.) This always has a number (degree of correction, typically positive) and an axis (direction in which the deformity lies, 0-180*.) This is also why "toric" contact lenses were developed.
--Prism - this is a correct for amblyopia (cross-eyedness.) Usually a simple matter of a number (degree, typically positive,) but can also include an axis (in case the prism needs to be rotated from a horizontal correction for an eye that isn't turned merely "straight in" or "straight out." Zero to 180*, again.)

If it's offered through your workplace, you may want to look into VSP. It's the only vision/optometric insurance I can think of offhand, but it's pretty decent. We pay a $15 copay for an exam, lenses are covered annually and frames biennially. They also automatically add things depending on your needs in the coverage - for instance, the UV coating and high-index/high-impact poly are automatically covered for me. The 1m/m centre thickness is a simple change in grind, so it's merely an order option (making the centre of the lense thinner allows the edge to be thinner as well, reducing the overall weight of the lense.) Basic sphere/cylinder/prism correct is always covered - since it's what you need. And, it's accepted pretty much everywhere, although copay usually varies by employer (how much they're willing to fork over for the plan itself.) However, VSP is usually an option - and doesn't cost the employer overmuch, since an optometrist isn't an MD

I didn't read or understand half of that...but it does make me feel better about what I spent.

I guess it is setteling in....I think I got all the factors against me. (Progressive correction, astigmatism and apparently high end product)

All of which are fine, with my job change 1-1/2 years ago, the demand on my eyes is 100x what it used to be...so now it is time to just enjoy being able to see well.

Thanks!

The more you do to a lense, or the more you expect it to correct, the spendier it gets.

I've got single-vision poly lenses (I need the poly for impact resistance, and it keeps weight off of my nose...) which come bundled with the UV coating (I don't have a choice. Get the UV coating or get a hole burned in the back of my eyeball at this point. VisLight focusses to a useful image, UV to a pinpoint.)

I found out this last time that they do the "photogrey" (what's it called now, "Transitions?") with the high-impact, high-index poly - I've been waiting for that!

I get the 1m/m centre thickness to keep the lense weight down.

Designer frames I don't care for - while my frames aren't clunky (like issue BCGs,) they're not "super-wifty." I get the spring temples for comfort, I think my frames run somewhere around $100-125 for the thing. I keep two sets - that way, when I get replacement lenses, I can send out one frame with them and the the lense ground to fit - then leapfrog the next time. Genetics and trauma run against me, I almost invariably require new lenses every year.

Progressive corrections are more difficult to grind than traditional bifocal/trifocal lenses, simply because you have to "hide the lines." If they didn't, it would cost somewhat less.

Two factors that can drive up the cost of lenses in a hurry:
1) Progressive correction (for the reason given above.)
2) High-diopter correction. Why? There's this little thing with lenses called "chromatic aberration." It's the same thing that makes a prism work - different colours of light focus at different points through the same lense - because the different colours have different wavelengths, and bend differently.

At low levels of correction (say, <5 diopters either way,) it's not a big problem. You get up around where I am now (>-10 diopters & +2 cylinder for astigmatism,) and it becomes a big problem.

There are three basic corrections ground into a lense.

--Sperical or sphere (or diopter) - this is the basic correction for myopia or hyperopia (nearsightedness or farsightedness.) Postive diopeters for hyperopia, negative diopters for myopia.
--Cylinder - this is the correction for astigmatism (a "wave" deformity in the lense or cornea of the eyeball.) This always has a number (degree of correction, typically positive) and an axis (direction in which the deformity lies, 0-180*.) This is also why "toric" contact lenses were developed.
--Prism - this is a correct for amblyopia (cross-eyedness.) Usually a simple matter of a number (degree, typically positive,) but can also include an axis (in case the prism needs to be rotated from a horizontal correction for an eye that isn't turned merely "straight in" or "straight out." Zero to 180*, again.)

If it's offered through your workplace, you may want to look into VSP. It's the only vision/optometric insurance I can think of offhand, but it's pretty decent. We pay a $15 copay for an exam, lenses are covered annually and frames biennially. They also automatically add things depending on your needs in the coverage - for instance, the UV coating and high-index/high-impact poly are automatically covered for me. The 1m/m centre thickness is a simple change in grind, so it's merely an order option (making the centre of the lense thinner allows the edge to be thinner as well, reducing the overall weight of the lense.) Basic sphere/cylinder/prism correct is always covered - since it's what you need. And, it's accepted pretty much everywhere, although copay usually varies by employer (how much they're willing to fork over for the plan itself.) However, VSP is usually an option - and doesn't cost the employer overmuch, since an optometrist isn't an MD

Actual cost for a lens either single or bifocal, including the coatings is about $30. The super duper designer frames... about $50.

When I was working as a video duplicator (way back when) there was an optical lab down the street from the company. Our owner made a deal with the owner of the lab by giving him hands full of tapes in exchange for getting glasses at cost. (Always nice finding a fellow pervert to barter with.)

The last time he made lenses for me was about six years ago. Polycarbonate bifocals with UV coating... $20. A true shame he sold the business.

I didn't read or understand half of that...but it does make me feel better about what I spent.

I guess it is setteling in....I think I got all the factors against me. (Progressive correction, astigmatism and apparently high end product)

All of which are fine, with my job change 1-1/2 years ago, the demand on my eyes is 100x what it used to be...so now it is time to just enjoy being able to see well.

Thanks!

Amazing what you pick up after doing something for a while, no?:D

Let me know if you have any questions.

As far as cost for frames/lenses and such, you can go anywhere. You do not have to buy from your doctors office (which is usually most $$$) Places like costco and lens crafters are in business for a reason. They usually have the same/similar product for cheaper.

Back