• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rock rails that don't rust the frame

H8PVMT

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I have heard a big problem with rock rails is that where they tie into the frame will collect dirt and rust, does anyone pre-treat these areas before bolting on the rails?

doug

I am most likely going the way of welding in square stock in the rockers place but I like the distance rock rails get, I guess coating the seal would work to a point

doug

What set of Rock Rails are you trying to install or are they Homemade?

This is what I did to my Other Than Jeep 4x4:

I Cleaned the Frame where they were to be Mounted, Ground it Bare, Welded them on, Cleaned them up, Primed, Painted, and Undercoated them.

I wound up with a ton of rust on the rockets themselves from snow / ice being trapped between rocker and rail, seemed to collect a ton of ice in there even to the point that I couldn't open my doors without chipping away at it some.

I'd put a few (dozen) coats of something on the rockers before you install rails & seal the heck out of the pinch seam bolts as well.

Back