• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

clueless A/C question

climbingbum

NAXJA Forum User
so i just moved for a cool, temperate climate to a very hot one. up until this point ive never even touched the A/C in my xj. to be honest whenever i turn it on down here in the heat i feel like im putting a big strain on the engine. i kinda figure after adding a lift and some nobby mudders im already making the engine work hard as it is. my question is whether this is a valid concern or if im just babying my beast a little too much? second question is whether there is anything i should do since i havnt touched the A/C since i got it, about two years ago, like maybe a radiator flush or something?

Wow. Loaded question.

Year, engine, auto or manual?

Cooling System XJ:

1. Cooling system, properly maintained and when functioning 100%, is Ok for normal driving, normal temperatures, normal load, light 4x4.

2. One thing that will for sure screw up an XJs cooling system: Failure to flush the entire system, radiator, engine block, heater core, on a regular basis--I do mine annually.

3. The standard XJ radiator is a single core and unless flushed regularly will form blockages. This is especially bad when you use coolant mixed with tap water. Use of distilled water is recommended.

4. The eFan tends to come on a bit late, meaning it is damned hot before it gets started.

Fixes: Improved radiator, 2- or 3-core, with metal tanks, brass/copper construction, $150+. ZJ HD fan clutch, NAPA #272310, $44, direct fit replacement. Command switch (toggle) for the eFan so you can control it yourself from the dash, Radio Shack, $3. Never use a cheap thermostat, and always use the 195 degree type or you will play hell with the sensors and your mileage will take a dump.

i was told a/c systems dont like to be left without operation for LONG periods of time. It does more harm than good. I was told to operate it like once a week throughout the year for at least 5 mins to ensure the system didnt dry out and the gases got stirred up a bit. In winter just switch it to hot. If this is accurate you may have had a case of false economy. Your jeep will pee in the face of danger! Working the a/c should not cause any harm if thats what you meant.

The a/c takes about 3 1/2 to 5 hp to operate. Putting bigger tires with a larger rolling diameter puts more "strain" in the drivetrain than a/c does.

Yes, you will notice it when it's on - and may have to slightly adjust your passing habits - but, again, the big tires already did that. It's why so many move up to 4.10 gears, in order to get better multiplication and restore power.

As for the a/c, just run it - as you acclimate to the desert, you'll be less inclined to switch it on. Sun intensity has a lot to do with the impression of heat, and as you pick up the little tricks in your lifestyle you'll notice it can be impressive on occasion, but the lack of humidity makes up for a lot.

Look around, a lot of residents out there don't walk around in string t's and daisy dukes. Sunburn is a real and present danger out west - the oldsters even wear long sleeved shirts all summer to reduce sun intensity. Yes, you actually stay cooler . . .

if i lived in the hot desert id stick an electric fan taken from a ford taurus in. You could get one really cheap and there is a great write up on how to do it. Its alot more powerfull. Youd get most, if not all of that hp back too.

Back