• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How does a steering box brace mount...

a-mechanic

NAXJA Forum User
to the pass. side of the truck? particularly rusty's.
a picture would be helpful if available.
TIA

They usually mount where the trackbar mount would go on a RHD XJ.

Yep,my bad.I was thinking of the trackbar brace!

Last edited:
I don't have a picture, but the box end goes on the passenger side, inside side of the frame rail near the front crossmember immediately behind the front bumper, boxed corner pointing down and to the outside. The bar then extends directly toward the steering gear, where you put the 2 clamp pieces over the steering gear and use the bolt to mount it to the brace. That's the best I can describe it. Hope it helps.

I would suggest avoiding those styles....they don't do jack.

I was able to just about rip my box right off my frame, and i HAVE a pass-side brace!

I truly believe the only way to reinforce that area is to "box" and "bridge" the inner and outer frame-rail layers.....

I have a custom bumper that has 1/4" think plates on the outside that I *thought* would go a long way to brace the rail....

I was wrong.

I put mine through a wreck right where it attaches on the passenger side, and the passenger-side sub-frame rail would have collapsed had it not been for that. It even bent quite a bit of metal right around the brace. I'm now putting the thick plates on both sub-frame rails at the front, along with the Rusty's steering box brace.

i've boxed the left side and have the rt side inner plate cut and ready. bridged is a term i'm unfamiliar with. i used .25 mild and will be having it welded next week. does the rt side need to be boxed to?

Back