• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

700r4 swap for '84-'86.

kingskippy2001

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody have any info on it? I have a POS Chrysler 904 trans. that has given me nothing but trouble. I would like to use a 700r4 and an NP231 from an S10 Blazer?

Use a 1988-up THM700R4/4L60. The -1987 THM700R4 is a big, steaming pile, and you'll never be happy with it.

You'll likely need to have a driveshaft made and you'll probably have to fabricate/modify the mount crossmember and frame rails as well. Remember to prime and paint any cut metal edges - primer is porous, and will still allow rust (the primary purpose of primer is to make paint stick, not to keep metal from rusting. That's what paint is for.)

Beyond that, I haven't had any reports from the field - so I'd appreciate yours if you do this. Look for donors in the S-10/S-15 series, and some Astro/Safari vans were 4WD as well. I don't believe the V6-60 made it into the K-1500 series, but the THM700R4 did - and it has (as I recall) a removable bellhousing. So, if you can't find a useable donor behind a V6-60, snag the bellhousing and check the K-1500 pickup/Suburban and K-5 Blazer for a THM700R4/4L60.

Back