• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Manual Tranny Input Shaft Wobble?

xj92

NAXJA Forum User
I'm putting a '98 AX-15 behind my '88 2.5L. I got the tranny from the junkyard, it has around 80K miles on it IIRC. The input shaft wobbles back and forth about 1/8" or so. I checked 10 other manual trannys at the junkyard and all of the input shafts wobbled as well, just not as much as this one. Is this normal? Does the pilot bushing make it all good once it's installed? Just debating whether or not I need to tear into it before installing it. I'd rather not cause funds are tight.

That's what the pilot bushing is for. Unlike the mainshaft and the countershaft, the input shaft is supported by only a single bearing inside the case - the pilot bearing/bushing provides the other support.

Any shaft needs at least two points of support to run true - and the input shaft just has its second one outside of the case.

Of course, I'd probably replace at least the input and output bearings & seals anyhow, me being me (cheap insurance. We like cheap insurance.)

I've never torn into one before, are the input & output bearings easy to get to inside the case? I have a press, bearing splitter, etc.

Back