• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Mirror Spring!

1985xjlaredo

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I searched and searched. My driver side mirror spring broke when it smacked a tree on the trail last weekend. I got the mirror apart and put in new glass, bent the case back into shape and bought a spring to go back into it. It is a 19lb spring. It is the same length as the old spring but it lets the mirror sag and 1/2 and inch. Does anyone know a manufacturer of a spring that will work? If you buy a new mirror from quadratec does it come with a new spring. I really dont want to epoxy the mirror on and loose the breakaway feature.

have you tried going to a JY for one. idk if there is one around you but i paid $30 for a side mirror for mine and jy are expensive around here. Also look into getting the newer body style mirrors that fold back. thats my plan. as far as the spring i have no idea

I dont need the mirror it self. I just need the dam spring. Any one know of a Spring parts house? All I did was rebuild the mirror assembly and now I need a spring

I don't have a source for the spring, but if you hit the bone yard, just pull the spring from another-- can't run more that a couple pennies (if they even charge you)

If you still have a bit of the old one, you can always bring it with you to check tension of the new ones-- just hook 'em together an pull them apart-- the one that yields first has less tension. Process of trial and error, but might save a few return trips.

If your old spring broke at or near the hook, just pull one coil down and make a new hook. Start with a diagonal nipper to separate the coils and once there's some bend finish it with pliers. If you need to open the hook you can grind it off with a Dremel cutoff tool.

If your new spring is too weak, you can shorten it the same way. Choose a length, bend down a new hook and cut the excess off after the new hook is formed.

The design of those mirrors is rediculous. And the chrome ones that come on the laredo's are SO darn heavy! I have two laredos that came with those mirrors - the trail rig now has some universal type mirrors that just screw on to the body and I can fold them in easily.

Back