• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stroker - Transmission

Explorer 1

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 XJ and am putting in the Golen 260 HP Stroker. I have the "toyota" automatic. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on what can be done to the Trans to accept the inceased hp and torque?

Much thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

Which transmission is the toyota automatic? Are you referring to the AW4? If so, the AW4 is a fairly tough transmission. It ought to hold up to the stroker without trouble. If you really want to beef it up some, same tricks apply to it as any.

As far as I know there've been many people here on the boards who have run a stroker ahead of their stock AW4 with no troubles, yours should be fine so long as it's in good shape now. I'm fairly sure that the AW4 was used in the automatic equipped Supras as well as some Lexuses.

Last edited:
The "Toyota" auto is the Aisin AW4 transmission, Toyota is the the majority stockholder of Aisin.

Thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

In the Toyota trucks and supras its called the a340 I believe. Not sure what the difference is though

xWhatever.
I read somewhere the A340 / AW4 is rated to 450 ft/lbs from the factory.
I believe the differences are in the bellhousing & programming only. If anyone has better info, please post.
The AW4 will hold up to most anything you are going to bolt in front of it save maybe a blown stroker. Just keep the heat down with a good cooler.

What's the difference between a 400 HP Supra and a 800 HP Supra? nothing, they both run 11s.

What's the difference between a 400 HP Supra and a 800 HP Supra? nothing, they both run 11s.

That fast really? I have seen an 800+HP Supra run a 13.8X@130ish MPH lol. :D

Don't worry about the trans. My jeep has 222,000 miles on it and the AW4 works very well, 30K of that is behind my stroker.

That fast really? I have seen an 800+HP Supra run a 13.8X@130ish MPH lol. :D

Don't worry about the trans. My jeep has 222,000 miles on it and the AW4 works very well, 30K of that is behind my stroker.

Oh the numbers arn't important, just the traction. :D

Oh the numbers arn't important, just the traction. :D

Got plenty of it, 4000lbs and locked on 33s gives you that lol. The strokers got power but its still only 281CID with a shitty head and heavy ass jeep. Traction is safe! :D

I have a 90 XJ and am putting in the Golen 260 HP Stroker. I have the "toyota" automatic. Does anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on what can be done to the Trans to accept the inceased hp and torque?

Much thanks,
Fred
Explorer 1

You are concerned for no reason. The AW4, as long as you keep it cool (which just means adding a good cooler) will take anything you can throw at it without a problem - actual problems are very rare.

I drove my XJ 500 miles with my trans full of water, flushed it, and drove on it for 4 more years without failure (it slipped cold, but never let me down).

Many people here have 260 to 300 hp strokers in front of aw4's without problems, and we have a several people here with strokers and 40+ inch tires used in competitions with aw4's that have never missed a beat.

Just run the correct fluid, keep it cool, and forget its there.

Back