• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

blinkers and hazards on a 98

85xjwoody

NAXJA Forum User
Just picked up a 98 cherokee for the wife. The blinkers and hazards would not work at first. This morning we moved the tilt column around and the blinkers worked fine. I turned on the hazards and only the left side was working and they were blinking very fast.
So I turned them off and turned on the blinkers. The left side was blinking very fast and the right side was normal. I tried the left again and it was working normal as the right side.

So, I am guessing something in the steering column is grounding out or something is loose. Has anyone had this problem or something simular? Just looking for some ideas to get this fixed in the next day or so. I did some reading and some said that taking apart the steering column is kindof a pain. Anyone tried to take it apart?

Kim

Had a simaular problem with a friends Grand Cherokee. Wires were split in the column right were they bend when the column tilts. I was able to solder them. He is one of those guys who used the tilt every time he got in or out. He has since changed his habits...

On the 97+ models there is a issue with the factory turn signal/hazard switch. On my 00, I would get hazards when i would signal left. I just went to the dealer and picked up a new switch and replaced it myself. No problems since.

you may have established that you need to remove the steering column for your particular issue. Cant help you if thats the case, but i know its a pain because ive read about it too and if i recall its grief! But i was advised i needed to remove the steering column when i had my blinker problem, and the posts i read also pointed firmly that way, but luckly 97 an on, it can be easier. mine was fixed simply by removing the shroud and replacing the stalk which incorporates the hazard light switch. You may wanna investigate further, but i know theres a write up with photos on this procedure if you dont know already. But like i say, your issue was different to mine, just not sure if you were aware removal of column/airbag on 97 plus years appears to be a premature answer sometimes.

My turn signals had a little issue after they sat for a while. Luckily, working them firmly back and forth showed them who was boss. LOL. I think they needed to have the contacts reestablished. Still good now.

Back