• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

aw-4 problem

JeepCherokeeGuy99

NAXJA Forum User
my buddy has a 99 xj 4x4 aw4 yada yada. The tranny has been actin up recently, it will run perfectly fine for about 10 mins. then all of the sudden it wont go anywhere, no gear works, and it makes a rattling noise that sounds like its coming from the trans pan. (valve body bad?) (oil pump clogged?) it's very consistent, he'll turn it off for an hour to let it sit, then fire it back up and it will drive fine, at least for 10 mins. It is throwing a check engine light, the code is bad Torque Converter Solenoid (TCS). Has this happened to anyone else? what did you do to fix the problem? swap the TCS?:dunno:

First, check and make sure there is plenty of fluid in it if you haven't already. I would think the next step would be to pull the pan and check the TC solenoid to see if it is indeed good. It could just be a loose connection at the solenoid.

fluid is actually a little too full. The solenoid is right there under the pan?

fluid is actually a little too full. The solenoid is right there under the pan?

I'm no tranny expert, but there are 3 or 4 solenoids under the pan. You have to remove the filter as well but thats only a couple of more screws. Before you remove the pan, soak the joint where the pan meets the dipstick tube (just above the elbow) with some WD-40 and let it soak. leave the tube bolted to the block and a good solid yank downward on the pan will almost always pop the tube loose from the pan. You may have to remove the crossmember to get the pan out on some year models, depends on where the downtube is in relation to the pan.

Now someone who knows more about the AW4 than me can jump in and tell you where the TC solenoid is under there.

gotcha thanks! ya if someone can tell me where exactly its at then maybe ill be able to swap it myself.

Back