• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear ends

best bet is to jack it up put trans in N and spin one rear wheel by hand. if the other wheel go's the same direction it has a limited slip or locker.. if go's opposite direction its open!

Does it come with a full size spare tire?
Generally the Jeep will have a full size spare IF there is a TracLoc LSD; otherwise the open carriers will come with a space saver tire.
The '98 that purchased new came with the TracLoc clutch pack style LSD.
When the vehicle was new there was a pink paper band on the passenger side axle tube that provides the owner with the differential information (ie. Corp 8.25, 3.07 gears, TracLoc limited slip).

Limited Slip was optional on the Chry 8.25, on the Dana 35, and on the Dana 44. Remove the cover on the diff and look inside. Open diff on the left, Trac-Loc Limited Slip on the right.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Were the full size spares really an accompanying option to the Trac-Locs? I can no longer read the sticker, but I had only seen the Chrysler 8.25, and 3.55 on it (that's all we jotted down in the book anyway). My 97 came with a matching 225/75/15 spare and wheel, but as near as I can tell it's a standard open. I had just assumed full size spares were an option themselves.

A full size spare tire was provided with the optional Trac-Loc. Full size spares may have been provided as part of the towing package. A full size spare is not a good indicator of Trac-Loc, I put one in all my 4x4's. Donuts are for Cops.

Since mine was purchased NEW.... the full size spare was a tip off for me... that there was probably a TracLoc installed and the paper ring on the axle tube was the confirmation...
IIRC the Tow Package was not an option with manual transmissions.
There is generally a metal tag attached to the differential cover held on by one of the cover bolts which provides you with codes to identify Axle, Gear ratio, and Carrier type.

I have a '00...I have a D35 with tracloc...and there is a sticking inside of the glove compartment door basically stating not to put the vehicle in drive even with just one wheel off the ground (rear).

I have a 2000 that I bought used, and it had a D35 with a Trac-Loc. I confirmed this by contacting Chrysler and getting a build sheet and by visual inspection when changing the diff lube. There is no warning sticker, nor are there signs that they ever was a warning sticker, in my glove box. I have seen this tag on older XJ's and CJ's, but never on the 97-01 models. The axle tags, both paper and metal, were long gone from the axle.

In the absence of the normal clues like glove box stickers or axles tags, the only way to to confirm a Trac-Loc is to do a visual inspection.

Our '95, former police package, has LSD, but no stickers or tags anywhere. Changing the brakes one day, noticed that both wheels rotated the same way. It had a matching spare, on a matching wheel, with a brand new Goodyear Wrangler Radial-to this day has never seen the ground. My '92 Sport (?) had five matching alloy ten-holes, matching GY Wranglers, and an open rear. I think there was a dart board at the beginning if the assembly line- see who gets what! My '96 Country has crank windows, while the '95 cop car has electric door locks and windows, but had no center console! Go figure....

Back