• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tuff Country?

X-defector

NAXJA Forum User
So, it's pretty clear what people think of RC lifts (mixed) and Rusty's (not so mixed). But I've seen very little talk of Ruff Country.

Believe me, I understand 'lift it cheap, lift it twice'. But for those of use not beating our XJ on the rocks, and only occasionally wheeling on moderate trails, there has to be a somewhat budget lift that's pretty solid.

I was looking at this:
http://www.suspensionconnection.com/cgi-bin/suscon/43802.html

So what's the verdict on Tuff Country in general?

Believe me, I understand 'lift it cheap, lift it twice'. But for those of use not beating our XJ on the rocks, and only occasionally wheeling on moderate trails, there has to be a somewhat budget lift that's pretty solid.

Understand also that quality suspension components will make a bigger difference on the road than on the trail - in ride, longevity and safety.

Seriously, who cares if you break on the trail? Your friends get stuck helping you and you all have a bad day.

Lose a trackbar on the highway and you can kill someone.

Understand also that quality suspension components will make a bigger difference on the road than on the trail - in ride, longevity and safety.

Seriously, who cares if you break on the trail? Your friends get stuck helping you and you all have a bad day.

Lose a trackbar on the highway and you can kill someone.

Yeah, I know it. I'm stickler for quality, safety, and function - just the lift alone on my JK cost substantially more than the purchase price of my XJ. One of the things I like about the Tuff Country is that they've addressed track bar relocation, something no other budget kits do but dang important. Seems to be okay for a cheap kit. I'm smart enough not to put a part on my Jeep that I think will be a safety hazard or fail - that's why I'm here for opinions!

i had there front (leaf) springs on my K5 blazer years ago. those springs were soft and flexy. i was looking at just getting their leafs (for the xj) but i dont know about the rest of their stuff.

It looks like a decent kit, but for $600 you can get a RE 3.5" kit, which is very good quality (also doesn't include shocks). This kit came with the nice sway bar discos, which the Tuff Country doesn't.

I got the RE 3.5" superflex with AAL for $400 from 4WP about 9 months ago. Shocks cost another $100. I think to go with full leaf packs was another $100-150 or so.

The RE kit was great. I just sold everything though as I went to a 6" long-arm setup.

Yeah, I know it. I'm stickler for quality, safety, and function - just the lift alone on my JK cost substantially more than the purchase price of my XJ. One of the things I like about the Tuff Country is that they've addressed track bar relocation, something no other budget kits do but dang important. Seems to be okay for a cheap kit. I'm smart enough not to put a part on my Jeep that I think will be a safety hazard or fail - that's why I'm here for opinions!

Tuff Country may be a fine product, but I don't think they have enough exposure with the naxja crowd to give you that as an honest answer.

Cant speak for XJ's, but they are the only company that makes a true 5.5" lift for my dodge durango, and every single thing i have read says stay away from Tuff country..

But i believe that has to do with the IFS on the durango, so i take the quality remarks of Tuff country, with a grain of salt.

One of the things I like about the Tuff Country is that they've addressed track bar relocation, something no other budget kits do but dang important.
The way they addressed it is bad and makes your angles worse.

tuff country is not the only kit that addresses trackbar relocation. with that said, as important as it is, the trackbar doesnt need to be relocated, it needs to be lengthened, so the best solution is to get a longer trackbar, not relocate its axle mount.

ive never heard anything good about trackbar relocation brackets. its a cheap solution at best.

I say spend a 300-400 more and piece a lift together. good coils and leafs are worth the extra money. i would include a new trac bar also. the only way those relocation brackets work is to weld them on. if you don't they will constantly work loose. my .02.

Back