• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Part time light.... odd

90XJay

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I have a 90 xj, 4.0 stick that came witht he discos in the front when I first got it. First day I used 4x4 (got it on new years) i noticed the part time light would turn on then off. This would result in losing 4 wheel drive. Turns out it was the disco on the axle. It was gunked up and would get stuck. So I swapped it for one off my old jeep for parts and never had a problem with it again. Come late spring I swapped the axles for a 98 set (30/8.25) which doesn't come with discos (i understand the differance and how they work) and once i installed them I put it in 4 and my light would never turn on. I assumed it was because I disconnected the disco motor and so it would treat it like it wasn't engagine and the light wouldn't come on. It would always engage though since it doesn't need the vaccume disco. However I was surprised on sunday when I was on a club run to see my part time light come on. Looked at it and thought gee thats funny. Stayed on the rest of the day wheeling. When I put it back in 2 it shut off. Driving down the road it turned on then off, on off etc until it stayed on. Now it won't shut off. I was underneath it at in the driveway looking at the nice whack on my crossmember when I saw that the lines from my old disco were dangling next to my passenger lca... then I realized this whole time I had forgot to plug them/remove them. Is it possible I might have done a number on my transfer case? or is the vac motor just like an appendix now? I'm guessing soem water/crap might have gotten sucked up and I'm hoping to hear it won't affect my transfer case.

Take a look at your t-case fluid and see if it looks like a milk shake......I think it's possible that water could leak past the vacuum switch on the t-case thats why I capped mine off when I ditched the vac disco on my 89.

Last edited:
Back