• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cross Enterprises Rear Shock Bar

ERock62

NAXJA Forum User
I searched around an saw a few threads regarding this bar. But none of them answered my question.

I sheared off a couple of my upper shock mount bolts. Overall I think the upper mount is a poor design so I rather not use it if possible.

I saw the JKS Cross Mount but this uses the factory shock mounts.

Then I found the Cross Enterprises one. Can this be used with the shocks in the stock location on the axle? Or do I have to relocate the shock mounting tabs on the axle?

I'm in the process of making one right now and I plan to raise the lower mounts on the axle end.... this means that I'm lowering the tops and raising the lowers so I won't be able to run as long of a shock, but I will be angling the tops in a bit to help make up for that, and I will also be running stiffer shocks to help compensate for the lowered dampening effect that you get when you angle the shocks in like that.

Sorry, but I don't have a clearcut answer for you since I will be buying my shocks around my specific aplication here.

You could probably get away with leaving the axle end mounts in the same place, but you might end up bottoming your shocks out unless you make your bumpstops longer. OR you could just angle the shocks and keep the same length bumpstops, but then you lose dampening.

I have zero problem angling the shocks inward.

I just don't want to go through the hassle of getting new shock mounts welded on the axle.

what is wrong with the jks setup. i run it and it works awesome. i just cut a small hole using a 1.25 inch hole saw to put new bolts and nuts in.

Thanks,
I am at about 3". I see you are in Socal. Do you know any local shops that might have this in stock?
i ordered it through the 4wheelparts.com in azuza can when they had the 15% off it is a super kit and allows a much longer shock. i have not seen others but i know i like this set up plus it has extra holes so i can use them for limiting straps

Did you get away with your stock exhaust routing or did you change that too when you put your JKS setup in? I am almost done my setup, but I'm going to have a bit of clearance issues with the exhaust on mine. I did run into a bit of a problem with the fuel lines and that little clip they have there, but I just move it over a bit and now that clears fine with room to spare.

Did you get away with your stock exhaust routing or did you change that too when you put your JKS setup in? I am almost done my setup, but I'm going to have a bit of clearance issues with the exhaust on mine. I did run into a bit of a problem with the fuel lines and that little clip they have there, but I just move it over a bit and now that clears fine with room to spare.
i did a dump right after the muffler but it would not be hard to get a new tail pipe routed through it.

oh and on the fuel line there was two holes on my jeep so i moved it over and it was fine. just watch how you rout the lines or you will have to remove the whole thing when doing a fuel pump swap like i did

good to hear about the exhaust.

as for the fuel lines, I don't mind having to remove mine... My crossmember is mounted to the framerails at the bumpstops... it doesn't use the factory shock mounts at all. I figure 3 sleeved holes per side with 1/2" Gr8 hardware should hold it in place nicely without having to dink around with the factory mounts ever again.

good to hear about the exhaust.

as for the fuel lines, I don't mind having to remove mine... My crossmember is mounted to the framerails at the bumpstops... it doesn't use the factory shock mounts at all. I figure 3 sleeved holes per side with 1/2" Gr8 hardware should hold it in place nicely without having to dink around with the factory mounts ever again.
post up some pics that sounds like a cool idea

I actually designed a new shock mount in CAD over the weekend (I am an engineer)

It is more or less a hybrid of the JKS and Cross Enterprises version. It will retain the stock shock location on the top and bottom which is what I am looking for.

Or factory is going to make me a couple to test out. Only $15 each :)

I have the JKS cross over rear and have been happy with it. My stock bolts broke for the rear shocks. Drilled them out and there is enough room to wiggle some new bolts in from the top side to drop through the holes. So far so good.

I did reroute my exhaust. I had a dump after the muffler for a while. I ended up redoing the exhasut after I ripped it all off once. I bought a pre-97 tail pipe and did some cut n weld to get the parts to line up right. The tail pipe now runs on the bottom side of the frame rail on the outside of the shock. I'll see if I can get a pic of it later.

I did all of this becasue I moved up my axle side shock mounts and wanted to keep a decent length shock. I recently added some Edlebrock shocks that have about 12" of travel and everything is still working fine back there.

The other option I have seen is to do something like this from detours http://www.detoursusa.com/xjstm.php and weld them in place. I am not sure about using a cross over set up with that, but it's something else to think about.

I actually designed a new shock mount in CAD over the weekend (I am an engineer)

It is more or less a hybrid of the JKS and Cross Enterprises version. It will retain the stock shock location on the top and bottom which is what I am looking for.

Or factory is going to make me a couple to test out. Only $15 each :)

This sounds interesting, you have a drawing or a picture you could post? May be willing to test one out for you...

Back