• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Novak T-case shifter

PacificEd

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
Is there anyone in the Southeast that uses the Novak t-case shifter conversion with the AW4/NP242 combo?

I would like to talk to someone who has done the install. Maybe even look over your XJ if you are close enough or coming to the Crawl.

i thought about doing the novak setup myself... all it does is remove the "body" portion of the linkage and reverses the shift pattern.... thus with no binding as the body or crossmember flexes... whats the retail on that kit nowadays? might be cheaper to build a cable shifter for the price...

i thought about doing the novak setup myself... all it does is remove the "body" portion of the linkage and reverses the shift pattern.... thus with no binding as the body or crossmember flexes... whats the retail on that kit nowadays? might be cheaper to build a cable shifter for the price...

The last time I checked it was around $150

I looked at that and the pics are spread between a XJ and TJ install. I've done some reading on another forum and many over there seem to say it is a bolt in deal with just two bends in the shift rod. I just wonder if it is really that easy.

If someone had one locally, I'd like to feel how it shifts.

I moved this thread to mod tech. I've done a lot of searching but have some questions that remain unanswered.

The Novak instructions are a little vague. Will the shifter run through the ranges for a 242 with the factory opening? When you remove the original shift guide, what have installers used to keep water dirt from entering the interior?

Is the shift pattern reversed? Some threads say yes and some say no.

I'd love to find a pic by pic thread of an install with an AW4 and NP242.

As I believe the website said it wasn't, thats a determining factor for me.

After my transmission swap the stock linkage would not work in my application so I got The Novak shifter kit for the NP231.

My set-up

AMC 2.5L - AX15 - NP231

As it turns out I did not need to bend the rod at all due to how my unique combination worked out. I don't have any picture of the bracketry installed but here is an in vehicle view. Due to the new location of the transmission and transfer case I could not use the factory console anymore. This should not be a problem for you.

The current version of the kit keeps the factory shift pattern. The old versions reversed the pattern. The kit shifts smooth and I would recommend it to anyone.
prettyinpink.jpg

Last edited:
I dont have your same setup, but I have it installed on my 231 and love it. Install was quick and simple. took about a half hour or so to install.

I believe it comes right through the stock shifter location, leaving the seal and such the same as stock. Someone correct me if I am wrong. glad to hear the kitout now leaves the shift pattern the same and in standard order.

Edit: Here is the picture from the Novak site showing the mounted shifter with a 4L60-E tranny and 231 tcase.

Last edited:
I have one on my 231 with a 2low (which makes it have the same amount of shift options as a 242, right?), and it shifts within the stock portion of the center concel opening. Its tight, and I dont have the top portion of it, but it works.

It would not be that hard to make. It would be 10x easier to do it when the tranny and tcase is out.

Edit: that shift arm on the picture that MG2000XJ posted on the 231 is opposite of mine. That one is pointed up, and mine is pointed down. Seems that would change the orientation of the shifter, but is there any other reason?

So how does it seal out the weather, mud, water cold etc.?

If installed correctly you should be able to use the same shifter opening and shifter boot as the factory setup. The novak shifter may require some bending to use the factory hole though.

Back