• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front axle noise>

cherokee4fun

NAXJA Forum User
On my 90 XJ with a disconnect front axle that I have put washers in to shim the disconnect, so that it is engaged all the time, is having some issues. After about 20k miles of no issues at all, occasionally, it makes a grinding noise then seems to "pop" and the noise goes away. It only "pops" at slow speeds, 5mph or less.

I did notice that the grinding noise goes away after I put it into 4WD.

Any thoughts before I tear into it? I seems like the noise is coming from the drivers side, but that maybe just because I am sitting on that side!!!!

Any thoughts is greatly appreciated
Bob

Gear oil at correct level?

Could be axle ujoint or unit bearing.

I thought about the ujoints, but did replace those about 30K ago. I thought it was strange that the Ujoint making that noise would go away if I put it in 4wd. Never thought that being low on gear oil would do it, but that's a easy check.

Is there a c clip or anything holding the drivers side of the axle?

Thanks for the input, any ideas is greatly appreciated.
Bob

Is there a c clip or anything holding the drivers side of the axle?

No "C" clips on a D-30. Check the U-joints and the pinion yoke with no load on the axle or driveshaft. Also check the pinion/yoke for any movement that would indicate a worn pinion bearing, up-down, side to side, in/out.

No "C" clips on a D-30. Check the U-joints and the pinion yoke with no load on the axle or driveshaft. Also check the pinion/yoke for any movement that would indicate a worn pinion bearing, up-down, side to side, in/out.

I think there is a "clip" on the intermediate shaft in the D30 CAD.

Back