• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'99XJ 4.0L front exhaust pipe support-rod rubber-block isolator ?

MikeESoc2

NAXJA Forum User
This weekend I am going to replace what looks like a sagging transmission mount... just bought the Anchor mount at the local parts store.

Currently the rear of the front exhaust pipe (where it goes into the front of the cat) tends to bang against the cross-member... and if that is due to a sagging trans mount then the fix will happen this weekend.

But... the rubber-block isolator also appears to be fatigued (that the rear support arm of the front exhaust pipe slides into)... the rubber isolator that is in the small open-cage that is riveted to the plate between the top of the trans mount and the bottom of the trans.

As a part of the trans mount replacement job, I think that I would be able to drill-out the small rivets that hold the small cage to the plate and re-attach the cage with small nuts-bolts... but... I can't find the replacement rubber isolator.

Walker does not have the rubber isolator... and the local dealer says that the entire plate with the cage-riveted rubber-isolator is avaialbe special-order for something like $87 (which I would rather not do).

But Autozone (in the "transmission mount" section) has something that looks (via the photo) that it may be the engine-pipe support-arm rubber-block isolator:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ca...splayName=Transmission+Mount&searchText=A5208

Has anyone used that Autozone part# A5208... that is: does anyone know if it is the rubber-block isolator for the pipe support arm ?

Thanks.

Last edited:
wow I removed that part long ago.

Uh, Joe, might want to check that link.

Must be something up with my Firefox. Still had the Morris tab open and it was showing that ebay link?

Too weird, but thanks for the heads up!

Thanks for the pointer to Morris 4x4... maybe this is the better linK for item #9:
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/jeep-exhaust-parts/cherokee-xj.htm

1 more question:
the item#9 description says for up to a '95 XJ
... does it work for the '99 ?

To try to answer that question myself, I just looked up a '93 XJ front-pipe on RockAuto ... the '93 front-pipe is Walker# 54488.

But the '99XJ front-pipe is Walker# 55277
... but maybe that is because of difference between OBDi and OBDii ... that is: I know that the '99 pipe#55277 has the front-O2 sensor in the pipe... but maybe prior to '96 the only O2 sensor is in the exhaust manifold (like it is in my '87 XJ 4.0L).

Regardless...
does anyone know if the Morris 4x4 item#9 rubber-block isolator will work for a '99 XJ ?

PS:
the Morris 4x4 rubber isolator looks like the item in the Autozone link that I first listed... but significantly less expensive.

Thanks.

FYI...
just got off the phone with Morris 4x4 sales.

After some research they say that no that item #9 is not good for the '99XJ front exhaust-pipe support arm... also... they don't inventory a possible correct part.

So:
this weekend I'll just replace the trans mount... and see if that gets the exhaust pipe (just in front of the cat) up off the cross-member.

Thanks for your help.

Back