• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

why not with a 242

stevieb

NAXJA Forum User
hi guys
just a stupid question.i know i am going to get blasted with sarcastic remarks but>> can somebody please explain why you can or can't use lockers with a 242 transfer case.
i dont know if i have been summing this up right but have read that people have had to change over to 231's.
thx so far
steve:dunno:

You can use lockers with a 242, but it removes the option of running 4x4 high part-time (the green one) on dry roads, since it essentially makes it like regular 4x4 high. If you use your 4x4 full-time a lot on mixed dry/wet pavement, it becomes an issue. If you go with a selectable locker in one end, you're still okay.

That's the way I understand it anyhow. I went selectable to keep my options open.

Wrong.

You can still use a 242 with any kind of locker, it's just with non-selectable lockers you lose the ability to use full-time 4wd.

EDIT: fubar beat me to it...

You can use lockers with a 242. The only thing you cant do is run an auto locker in the front AND run it on the road in Full time mode (the green one ;) ) The 231 doesn't have this option anyway so you are no worse off then a 231 even with an auto locker in the front.

Cheers
Steve

You can use lockers with a 242. The only thing you cant do is run an auto locker in the front AND run it on the road in Full time mode (the green one ;)

Cheers
Steve
Actually, you can still do this, it will just act as regular 4wd, not like an all wheel drive.

This is assuming you are using it for snow, etc. I don't see any need to use 4wd in rain.

Oh, and I have a 242 with OX front and rear.

If you add an autolocker to the front you render the full time feature useless like mentioned above. And if you do that then all you have is larger, heavier, lower, t-case that has poor SYE options. IMO if you auto lock the front go 231, and before you install it add an HD sye and maybe a 2-low.

You might even be able to trade someone out of a 231 if someone wants a 242.

I have a 242 and love it for snow and gravel roads (we have lots of both here in Montana). That's why I went with selectable lockers front AND rear (Eaton e-locker in D30 front, Ected limited slip/e-locker in Ford 8.8 rear).

I'm not sure I understand how putting a non-selectable locker in the front of a 242 unit makes it "just like regular 4x4"? The full-time feature of the 242 basically puts a open differential in the transfer case...allowing the front and rear driveshafts to rotate at different speeds when needed (turning corners). The 242 has no idea what is happening between the right and left axle shafts of either the front or rear, just knows about driveshaft speed.

I'm not sure I understand how putting a non-selectable locker in the front of a 242 unit makes it "just like regular 4x4"? The full-time feature of the 242 basically puts a open differential in the transfer case...allowing the front and rear driveshafts to rotate at different speeds when needed (turning corners). The 242 has no idea what is happening between the right and left axle shafts of either the front or rear, just knows about driveshaft speed.

I don't understand it either. It simply does not make sense. I'll wait for a viable explanation, but I doubt it will come.

Putting any force to the front axle which the 242 would do would cause the right and left axle to lock up in the front if used with fulltime 4wd. It would cause you to have issues steering which is bad.

Aussie specifically states not to install with fulltime 4wd in the front axle. Rear axle only.

Sounds like you can lock the 242 into 2wd though so you can do what they suggest and just not use fulltime 4wd anyplace you wouldn't use part time 4wd.

I've had a LSD in the reAr of mine for many years it came from the factory from what I've always been told you can lock the reAr without affecting anything if you lock the front it fubars the full time settings. Not sure hoe that works but.... That's what i've been told.

I have a 242 with a no-slip in the rear.

The 242 uses a "open differential" inside the transfercase to allow the front and rear driveshafts to turn at different speeds (when in fulltime), as when you turn, each tire follows a slightly different path and the tires travel at slightly different speeds. You can use a locker in the rear as it will behave just like driving in 2wd with a locker would.
You shouldn't put a auto-locker in the front axle and expect to use fulltime, since you are now sending power to the front tires this will cause your locker to do what it does best and lock. Since you are locking your left and right tires together you will experience some scary handling/steering. Its been done just for testing purposes.
Now if you wanted to put a LSD or a selectable locker in the front that would be fine, as with a LSD the don't lock up until there is considerable wheel spin. And obviously a selectable will only be engaged when you tell it to.

When you put a 242 in parttime 4wd the transfercases "differential" is not locked, and the front and rear driveshafts cannot move at independent speeds, just how a 231 works

ok. so no full time 4hi. i get what you are all saying.
i intend putting in full width F250 diffs in the near future which have hub locks in the front. i would think this would change the option of a locker in the front. to be honest i only use the xj on long trips, mainly for jamborees and the occasional challenge. i very rarely ever use the full time 4 anyway at events, it is either all or non (hi2 or lo4). i have never seen or be in snow. here where i live i where shorts and t-shirt in the winter, min temp is 20*C (68), summer max 42*C (107).
i thank all so far.

The 242 and selectable locker combo is a GREAT setup for a DD/wheeler that sees winter or backcountry roads... I'll NEVER go back to my 231 setup again.

You can use lockers with a 242, but it removes the option of running 4x4 high part-time (the green one) on dry roads, since it essentially makes it like regular 4x4 high.

Part time is regular high 4x4. You should not use it on dry roads to begin with.

If you are going to have selectable hubs then you probably wont be running "high speed" with them engaged. And since that may be the case you wont use your Fulltime anyway. You can put whatever locker you want in the front, just if you attempt to use fulltime, on pavement, expect it to handle and behave like crap. Since that doesn't appear to be what you are concerned about, go for it.

If you are going to have selectable hubs then you probably wont be running "high speed" with them engaged. And since that may be the case you wont use your Fulltime anyway. You can put whatever locker you want in the front, just if you attempt to use fulltime, on pavement, expect it to handle and behave like crap. Since that doesn't appear to be what you are concerned about, go for it.

Takin' bets on this? ;)

Which part?

This:

"If you are going to have selectable hubs then you probably wont be running "high speed" with them engaged. And since that may be the case you wont use your Fulltime anyway."

Sorry, was in a hurry. ;)

Back