• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Water pump Hell!

JeffU

NAXJA Forum User
97 XJ 4.0LTR. w/ 166 K Miles

2 years ago at 130K miles the OEM radiator went. I decided that it would be wise to also replace the OEM water pump. I found a Bosch at Pep Boys with the exact casting numbers etc as the OEM. Happy camper I thought that would be the last water pump I would need for another 100K miles.

A year later the water pump seized and I went back to Pep Boys for the free replacement. The Bosch pump now has a completely different casting and is made in friggin China. I find a new US made ASC unit at Advance the casting and pump vane look well made so in it goes.

Today the ASC unit is rattling and I am sure it is about to go. I have been using Gator Back belts set with a NAPA “cricket” gauge at 150. I replaced the tensioner pulley a year ago and just now wasted 100 bucks on the hope that the water pump pulley was bad. No such luck.

The belt alignment looks good; the harmonic balancer (original) also seems good. There is no noise with the belt removed.

Why am I eating water pumps annually with only 15 k miles?

Jeff

belt too tight?

Those gauges are junk. I use the "tighten tension until belt can be turned no more that 90 degrees" method I read on this board (belt should be new). That stupid cricket gauge bairly read 110!

Back off the belt tension until it squeels occasionally. Then snug it up gradualy until it stops. Mine squeels just a little sometimes when I start it, but 99+% of the time it doesn't.

What kind of water are you using for your anti-feeze mix ?

For years I have used Prestone and prepare my own 50% mixture with distilled water by emptying 1/2 the container and then refilling the container to the original level with distilled water... Cooling system has remained in good condition...

X2 on the belt being too tight, if it's too loose the worse that will happen is that it will slip a bit. If it slips you can always tension it a bit more, till you get it right.

For years I have used Prestone and prepare my own 50% mixture with distilled water by emptying 1/2 the container and then refilling the container to the original level with distilled water... Cooling system has remained in good condition...

Well, I know that, you been around here long enough to know better. Some of the locals here use their well water and then wonder why their impellers are toast in 18-24 months.

Those gauges are junk. I use the "tighten tension until belt can be turned no more that 90 degrees" method I read on this board (belt should be new). That stupid cricket gauge bairly read 110!

That would be the Kricket I, the Kricket II reads higher.

Just out of curiosity, what are the impellers constructed of in the Bosch and ASC pumps?
Cast or sheet metal?

Just out of curiosity, what are the impellers constructed of in the Bosch and ASC pumps?
Cast or sheet metal?

No idea, I saw one pump that had a plastic impeller.

No idea, I saw one pump that had a plastic impeller.

Curious, my Son is a ASE Master working for the local Chevy/Nissan/Honda dealer and he had a hell of a time with a Chevrolet overheating. Turned out that the new and improved OEM dealer water pumps for some of their engines have the sheet metal impellers and they cause cavitation and problems--they had to go and buy an aftermarket pump to get one with a cast metal impeller, and that fixed the problem. He found the info on a tech forum about the problem.

4+ yrs ago I went with a Goodyear Gatorback belt and GMB brand waterpump from Summitracing. (GMB-110-1080) made in Japan-looked like high quality and is still running fine. As above tightened till squeeking stopped (starting and A/C clutching on-off) and a bit more and it has held good for 4 yrs. Gatorback runs quieter.

Good Luck,
o

Last night I replaced the water pump. I used the old school 90 degree belt twist method . No noise and all accessories seem to working properly. The Kricket II indicates about 100+lbs. Either the factory specs are too high(doubtful) or the Kricket II reads low.

As others have mentioned better a little less tension than too tight. Replacing the water pump each year is PIA !

Back