• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AC/Heater fan doesn't work?

Muddy Beast

NAXJA Forum User
So lately I've been getting pretty annoyed with my AC/heater not blowing any air, no matter what setting I'm on (high, low, hot, vent, AC, etc.). I thought it might be the fan so I pulled one at a junk yard a few months back but before installing it checked the wires to make sure it would work...figured it would and went home. On my way home (prior to installing the used/new one, after touching the wires) my vents were all blowing air so it seemed like my fan was working again. But now it seems the fan stopped working. This time I pulled the fan and plugged it directly to the batter to check it, it worked well, so I put it all back in and put the car in the on position (didn't start it). Everything was blowing air so I thought maybe I fixed it (after cleaning the connections) but then once I started the car it stopped blowing and now it appears my fan doesn't work anymore.

Anyone have any ideas?
-I checked the fuses, they're all good.
-Checked the fan, it's good.
-I think the controls work, since the fan worked almost 3 hours ago after it stopped working.

Oh and an after thought, when the fan turned on after messing with it, if I turned my air OFF my radio turned off then would turn back on again (it's an aftermarket Clarion). And also when I go through the varrious fan options (AC, Heat, Vent) I can hear what sounds like a bubble popping but one large one.

~Scott

Muddy, check to see if there is refridgerant in the system. I just had this happen to mine yesterday. When there is no r-12/r-134 in the system the compressor clutch won't engadge to prevent damage to the compressor. I filled mine and the fan popped on just fine. Also, you might want to check your vacume lines too. Sometimes that will cause problems with the air too. Good luck.

HVAC fan not related to refridgerant level or compressor running. That would be the aux. cooling fan on the radiator. If your radio is turning on and off with the AC, you might be starting to melt some wires due to fan current draw. Take a look around the resistor under the dash that controls the blower speeds and the control unit in the dash. Sometimes those wires overheat. Check your fuse box for signs of meltdown too.

Where is the resistor located? Fuse box is good, and stereo was installed like 5 months ago.

~Scott

If the resistor were the cause it would still work on high speed. I have went through more than a few junkyard resistors before I finally decided to replace my blower motor yesterday.

It is possible the switch on the HVAC controls is going south. I had a switch go bad and did not get any flow except low speed, which is default fan speed if the resistor is working and you have the HVAC panel set to any setting besides "off"

Are you sure the fan isn't spinning at all and just isn't on the lowest speed?

Beyond that I do not know what to tell you.

You are correct. If it is just the resistor, the blower still runs on high. The wires in that area though, can start to melt. The stereo is just a symptom, not a cause. Look at the wires under the dash for beginning meltdown near the stereo.

Ok I stand corrected, my dad and I connected it directly to the batter and got nothing. I have one I pulled out of a junkyard, but the hook up is different...so I'm just going to splice it.

Thanks for the help anyhow guys. Good stuff for future refferance.

~Scott

Back