• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heavy Duty Homebrew Crossmember/T-case skid

jdbwrx

NAXJA Forum User
I needed a new cross member and t-case skid. The Rusty's "trail ready" cross memeber was waay too bent and the Warn t-case skid was done.

I picked up a piece of 2"x4" 1/4" thick tubing for about $40. I had some 1/2" plate laying around so I went to it.

I wanted to keep it inexpensive, so I reused the warn t-case skid and cut it up to use as the cover for the new t-case skid (that explains the slight "patchwork" look).

In the end, I was out for the cost of the tube and some self tapping bolts. Much cheaper than the JKS/Currie it is modeled after.

P1040914.jpg

P1040915.jpg

P1040916.jpg

P1040917.jpg

P1040918.jpg

Looks good... did you give much thought to moving it up higher for better belly clearance?

It is up quite a bit higher than what the previous set up was. I can't go up any further or I will start mashing exhaust into the floor pans.

I forgot to mention, I have a 3/8" thick piece of UHMW that I am going to put on the bottom of it to make it a bit more slippery.

Nice work, that should hold up well. Covering "the whole bottom" would add a lot of weight.

Looks good n stout. Can't tell from the pics. but do you still have easy access to your TC drain and fill.

Can you tell me what the bolt pattern for the center tranny/TC mount is. I'm drawing one up for mine and the current armour I have covers that. Would save me from taking it all apart to get to it. Kinda lazy I know.

Looks good n stout. Can't tell from the pics. but do you still have easy access to your TC drain and fill.

Can you tell me what the bolt pattern for the center tranny/TC mount is. I'm drawing one up for mine and the current armour I have covers that. Would save me from taking it all apart to get to it. Kinda lazy I know.

I can get to the drain plug but I need to drill an appropriately placed hole yet so it will drain.

I've got the measurements at home. I can get you those later tonight. I don't kow if they vary by year though, I have a '99.

It is up quite a bit higher than what the previous set up was. I can't go up any further or I will start mashing exhaust into the floor pans.

Ah ok. I plan to build a similar setup pretty soon here (2"x4" with a skid) and I was just wondering what sort of issues there were when you try to tuck it up high.

Back