• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Iron Rock Critical Path Review

PBach25

NAXJA Forum User
There has been a lot of talk about the complete Iron Rock Off Road Critical Path system here. So...we finally have our full set of thoughts on this suspension kit at off-road.com We considered 4 different suspension companies when starting the build, consisting of three long arm kits and 1 short arm kit. We ended up choosing the Iron Rock Suspension for our Jeep Project for its innovation, simplicity, durability and performance. The three owners of the company were pretty dang cool to deal with and have excellent customer service too. If you have any questions about it, don't hesitate to ask. Please check it out http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=601357&pageID=1

Here are some pics too:

Last edited:
looks good, i am strongly consdiering on to get their kit, as it sound like just plainly heavy duty, 5/16 walled tubing, thats one, that's thick id say

they go just under $1500 plus additions and shipping

Sorry to be off topic, but those kids should have some type of restraints....and I really hope the spare is bolted down.

Don't worry guys. The kids were safe and always are. The trail is easy....and I actually make them get out of the Jeep in any situation that is very difficult or if they feel uncomfortable. I live right down the road from this trail head and never even hit a paved road to get there. The pictures with the kids were just poser shots off of the main trail by the way. Thanks for the concern.

I am shocked that the if it isn't. " RE,tnt,rock krawler etc" crowd have not posted with there negative comments..
Not everyone will like this kit or agree with our findings...and everyone has their opinion, which is good. Many will love it. We were very impressed with what we found to be an excellent, all around suspension for the XJ. THe other suspensions you mentioned are also very good products and we currently run the new Triple Threat Rock Krawler kit on our JK Project and are absolutely raving about it, with not one negative comment. We also have run some less than perfect kits and are pretty vocal about that as well. I think that negative and possitive comments are good for everyone, as long as it's kept constructive and is backed up with first hand knowledge or experience.

What's that funky bracket thing at the axle end upper link mount?
That confused us the first time we saw it and had some doubts about it. It's basically a large cam mechanism that allows you to dial in your caster. The thing is huge and super strong. I can't see any negatives with this set up, except the size of the bolt that attaches the arm to the upper mount. We haven't heard of this bolt failing and we'll watch ours and report back if we have troubles here...but I doubt we will.

That confused us the first time we saw it and had some doubts about it. It's basically a large cam mechanism that allows you to dial in your caster. The thing is huge and super strong. I can't see any negatives with this set up, except the size of the bolt that attaches the arm to the upper mount. We haven't heard of this bolt failing and we'll watch ours and report back if we have troubles here...but I doubt we will.

Anyone know what it is called and where one might find one?

Thanks.

what were the other kits that you were considering?
I don't think that it is fair to mention names. We were encouraged to try the three other kits from well known and reputable suspension companies. All four have excellent products, however, we liked what we saw in the IRO stuff. That is not to say that we might have loved the others as well....we just went with our gut instinct and also wanted to try something that was fairly new to the market. I can tell you this, I have personally used and tested suspension products from RE, Rusty's, Teraflex, Rock Krawler, Skyjacker, Superlift, Procomp, Rancho. I've tried a lot of them and can honestly say that IRO is up there with the best of them. We were pleasantly surprised and look forward to the long term test of the Critical Path.

the jeep looks really good. and seems to articulate very well.

i hate to Hasta on the upper bracket but i would be afraid of the bolt coming loose on the trail or even on the street. and it seems if that happened the axle would move all around. or maybe there is a way that it is locked it place that i cant see in the pictures. if it had like a cotter pin through it or some thing like that then that would be different i guess. maybe your imput will change my mind on it.

the jeep looks really good. and seems to articulate very well.

i hate to Hasta on the upper bracket but i would be afraid of the bolt coming loose on the trail or even on the street. and it seems if that happened the axle would move all around. or maybe there is a way that it is locked it place that i cant see in the pictures. if it had like a cotter pin through it or some thing like that then that would be different i guess. maybe your imput will change my mind on it.

That is a legitimate concern and I can't convince anyone with words on this particular matter. Pictures can't do it justice either, unfortunately. Size and grade can matter when it comes to suspension components, nuts and bolts. These bolts are not huge but lock into place very well and the whole unit seems very, very strong. I would encourage you to try and get a glimps of this in person. We did before making our decision.

Exactly how unsafe is he in a stationary jeep?

First off, it's not just one child but 2. Neither are in seatbelts, much less proper car seats. Even in a stationary vehicle things can happen. There was a thread not too long ago about someone in a Sami, which was posing his rig for a pic and got out to take the pic. When he got out the rig was off camber and tipped, pinning his head between the b-pillar and the ground.

If adults don't want to wear seatbelts and be safe, I don't care. But it is an entirely diffrent thing when children are involved.

Is that spare bolted down?

That is a legitimate concern and I can't convince anyone with words on this particular matter. Pictures can't do it justice either, unfortunately. Size and grade can matter when it comes to suspension components, nuts and bolts. These bolts are not huge but lock into place very well and the whole unit seems very, very strong. I would encourage you to try and get a glimps of this in person. We did before making our decision.

ya i hear you. it would be alot different im sure if i saw it in person or even wheeled with you or someone who had the kit on and see how it did. but ya wheel it hard and let us know how it goes.

First off, it's not just one child but 2. Neither are in seatbelts, much less proper car seats. Even in a stationary vehicle things can happen. There was a thread not too long ago about someone in a Sami, which was posing his rig for a pic and got out to take the pic. When he got out the rig was off camber and tipped, pinning his head between the b-pillar and the ground.

If adults don't want to wear seatbelts and be safe, I don't care. But it is an entirely diffrent thing when children are involved.

Is that spare bolted down?
Wow. You seem to be the safety police. That's cool. I commend you for it. If the spare is not bolted down, will I be cited or arrested? It's not. And yes, there are two kids in the Jeep....the third was outside the Jeep, with our dog, playing on the dirt road. I'm surprised he wasn't run down. I am obviously careless and a terrible father. Sorry.:laugh2:
Thanks for bringing this to my attention though. I'll be more careful next time.

Back