• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bushings

crazyXj33

NAXJA Forum User
I am running a 4.5 RE lift I have like alot of play in my front end left to right. I would like to know if it could be that the bushings need to be replaced? If so what type and brand is the better one to go with, and where is a good place to get them from?

That is a big issue, lots of possible causes. You need to have soemone carve the steering wheel back and forth while you look at the track bar (both ends) and the tie rod ends to see if there is any slop in any. The track bar is the primary connection holding the axle centered under the vehicle- it uses a replaceable bushing at the axle end, and a non-replaceable tie rod end at the frame rail. After these, next check the ball joints by rocking the tire at 6:00 and 12:00 oclock (off the ground on jack stands). Last would be the control arm bushings. (This is the order they wore out on my 1990, all have been replaced- on the third track bar.)

Yeah I did all of that today I have to replace the tie rod end, but I would like to go ahead while I'm down there and do the bushings it can't hurt they are all getting old and worn. I found that I had a lot loose down there.

Back