• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

under 115k with unreal issues...

paroxysym

NAXJA Forum User
so i took the jeep to a well-known jeep guy in the area. he has a great knowledge of the 4.0 and has worked on my old tj in the past. anyways i dropped my jeep off to him a week ago and talked to him last night about what he found. now keep in mind i picked this jeep up last sept and it only had 103k on it, had a couple issues that i addressed such as a cat, manifold and a motor mount. heres what he found wrong:

- bad a/c condensor
- possible trans control failure or bad tps (no signal to the tps)
- broken bolt on motor mount (replaced both within the last 6 months)
- bad manifold gasket ( brand new gasket from APN)
- warious vacuum hoses/heater hoses
- hard start issue (fuel pump tube shrinkage, no injector issues)
- slack in timing chain
- blown seal where tranny/tcase meet

also found that the hard start is related to an injector leaking. but he pressurized them for over an hr and they didnt leak so thats why he thinks its the tube in the tank. ive wheeled this thing twice- and it was LIGHT wheeling. the previous owner towed a small boat from time to time. there are a couple issues like the front pinion seal and the front CV joint that need replacing that im fine with. but the issues above im kind of pissed about cause this jeep has low mileage for being almost 15 years old. i baby it, and i guess the previous owner didnt take care of it. unreal...

rant over. :gonnablow

What's unreal? Condensors eat rocks sitting up front. Gaskets, seals, and hoses wear out and leak- that's why they sell replacements. I'd be concerned if he couldn't tell the difference between a bad TCM and a bad TPS.
When has it last had a tuneup? Who did the work on it? What would be wrong with it if you hadn't taken it in to him? Did you see any heinous leaks in the driveline? Did it run and drive normally? How did he figure out the tubes in the fuel pump were shrunken to the point of restricting flow?

Last edited:
What's unreal? Condensors eat rocks sitting up front. Gaskets, seals, and hoses wear out and leak- that's why they sell replacements. I'd be concerned if he couldn't tell the difference between a bad TCM and a bad TPS.
When has it last had a tuneup? Who did the work on it? What would be wrong with it if you hadn't taken it in to him? Did you see any heinous leaks in the driveline? Did it run and drive normally? How did he figure out the tubes in the fuel pump were shrunken to the point of restricting flow?

- i did the last tune up with OEM cap/rotor, mopar performance wires and champ plugs
- i did any work on it from sept till now...
- the tps isnt getting a signal so he is going to try a new OEM unit and if that doesnt solve it then he is looking at the trans controller
- it was leaking tranny fluid but it wasnt a puddle, just spots here and there
- he put a gauge on the rail and tested the pressure at start up and noticed a significant drop after start up and idle, so he pressurized the injectors and they held pressure fine. he said the tube in the tank thats connected to the fuel pump could be an issue

he and his brother have been working on jeeps for god only knows how long.

Your problems sound pretty normal. Hard to blame the PO. Motor mount broke after you replaced it? Bad condenser? Possible shrinkage of the fuel line at the pump? Roll of the dice on an old vehicle. Some of your descriptions might be a little off. I think you mean that there is no signal to the TCM so it may need a TPS. This is one item that should be diagnosed further before just replacing. If you are correct and there is no signal to the TPS, replacing the TPS won't fix it. It's good though to have someone knowledgeable check out your Jeep. Now take it one step further and carry out a little diagnostics yourself and repair it yourself.

sounds like he's just reading the codes the computer is throwing with the whole tps or tcm thing. You're better off troubleshooting that one on your own. Both parts are very easy to replace and very easy to find at the junkyard or at the auto parts store. Not worthing paying someone $50 for a job you can easily do in 15 min. IMO.

Otherwise the other stuff just sounds like wear and tear. You decide what you need though. Does your a/c work? If so, apparently the condensor isn't that bad. Do you have trouble starting it? If not, doesn't sound like you need to replace anything. Replacing the seals is prob. a good idea though.

Back