• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Windshield Removal and Rust Help Needed

Green Mesa XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I've been trying to track down a leak in my 84 Wagoneer (XJ) on and off for last few years. It started about the time the windshield was replaced, but there were a few other project going on, like the heater core and 3" lift, at the same time so I was never certain as to the cause.

Today I removed the vent cowl and had my wife spray the garden hose on the windshield while I watched the seal. Sure enough that is where the water is coming from.

My question is now what? I've read a few suggestions. But I want to know what tools and supplies I'll need and what the best way to treat the rust is.

I've seen "window weld" at the parts store. As well as some rust treatment. Is there a specific brand or technique that is better ?

And what is the best way to remove the windshield?

Thank for any help.

In the meantime my old XJ is going off to the side and I'm putting back tarp over it until I can work a fix.

What I gleaned from the thread:

(Sorry I didn’t get the names for the quotes)

harbor freight removal tool kit…. It's basically a piano wire with handles.

50/50 chance that it would break

I can live with that..

The windshield in my XJ leaked badly when it rained. All I did was take the trim off, use a small sharp knife and removed as much of the sealer as possible then squeezed in some of the Auto Zone windshield sealer and be done with it. It has been perfect since 2001.

Ok, I need find a source for a replacement windshield. My brother-in-law and I tried to remove it over the weekend and it started cracking.

I figure I might as well pay the guy to pull it and come back in few days to install the new windshield.

Is there a better quality source or are they all about the same?

Back