• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shaking while braking

Kiefer316

NAXJA Forum User
I am unsure of this. It is a 2000 xj I6. It has a slight shimmy while braking. It is weird i was thinking of maybe the rotors are warped. Any one have any input on what may be wrong with my brothers heep?

i had this but it was intermittent. It would usually but not always do this between 60 and 50, new rotors sorted it. Why it would sometimes behave though i dont know. And why only at those speeds?

Usually this is caused by warped rotors. Once they are warped they will only get worse. You could remove them and have them turned around $12 each or just buy new ones about $28 each. Oh yeah make sure to always buy new pads when replacing rotors. Hope this helps.

Thanks for the replys. Looks like new rotors it is. When we did the breaks last time the rotors looked fine to use. so we slapped em back on and called it good.

I had that same problem but my problem was that 1 of the caliper bolts on the right front tire had worked itself free and went missing. Once I got replacement and installed I had no more shakes. Worth a look. I spent $250 on all new rotors and pads for something simple as a bolt. Probably not a common problem but checking something out is free so it doesn't hurt.

If you have access to a dial indictor and a micrometer, you could take diagnostics one step further. Runout with a dial indicator should be less than 0.005" and thickness variation should be less than 0.0005".

Those brake lines look cool. Do you think it would help cooling the brake lines by making little fins our of aluminum beer cans and hose clamping them on (with worm drive clamps of course)?

A bad steering stabilizer shock will cause this too.
NO,NO it won't, A new stabiizer will be only a band-aid to hide the problem. Fix the probrem right.

+1. Warped. If it only shakes while actually braking, that's probably good, as it would mean your brakes are likely not dragging much. Check both sides to see if they get noticeably hot while driving. Reason being, if your rotors are warped, they probably got too hot at some point. If they get really hot with normal driving, you probably need calipers too.
I've had brakes dragging so bad before that after a long drive they were glowing and smoking. Both times that I have had badly dragging brakes, there was some degree of intermittent shaking taking place without stepping on the brakes.

Sometimes if you have warped rotors from a few hard braking episodes you can *sometimes* get them to snap back. You need a fairly large parking lot or long quiet road, you heat them up by applying pressure on the brakes while you accelerate and drive, this can vary but once you get them hot you let off the gas and brakes letting the jeep come to a stop on it's own. Sit and wait for them to cool off on their own. Sometimes the rotors will snap back from memory. It's also important to make sure you have the same torque on all the lug nuts.
A frozen caliper is a different story, if one side is hot and the other is not it's generally the rotor.

Another thing I've had happen was a slightly warped rotor and a bad lower control arm bushing. I fixed the rotor but yet still had the intermittent shake. I would mostly get it during braking but once in a blue moon while driving down the highway. I replaced the LCA bushings and things are great.

Originally Posted by AL BUNDY
NO,NO it won't, A new stabiizer will be only a band-aid to hide the problem. Fix the probrem right.

I knew someone would say this. That's like saying shocks are only a band-aid to hide problems in your suspension.
Silent Bob: Go remove your steering stabilizer, go for a drive, and then tell me if shakes or not without it.
This shaking is probably being caused by warped rotors but the stabilizer is an easy replacement and worth checking.

Originally Posted by AL BUNDY

I knew someone would say this. That's like saying shocks are only a band-aid to hide problems in your suspension.
Silent Bob: Go remove your steering stabilizer, go for a drive, and then tell me if shakes or not without it.
This shaking is probably being caused by warped rotors but the stabilizer is an easy replacement and worth checking.

Well It pretty much is a band aid for STEERING problems. Suspension you need shocks to help with suspension dampening. But I will have to take everything off and check every component. I Did not sand the rotors before i put new pads on.

Thanks for the replys. Looks like new rotors it is. When we did the breaks last time the rotors looked fine to use. so we slapped em back on and called it good.

I'd go with a premium rotor on it. I haven't done it yet but next time i do my brakes I am switching to premium rotors and some EBC pads

"Well It pretty much is a band aid for STEERING problems. Suspension you need shocks to help with suspension dampening."

Then remove it. Drive without your factory installed steering dampener band-aid.

Back