• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

35's and 4.10's

CrazyChef110

NAXJA Forum User
35's and 4.10 and AW4, truck goes alot of highway driving. what do you think? (MPG, and tranny?) Right now i have 33 mtrs on it thinking of going to 35s. Need some input. Thanx

Honestly, it will not have a lot of low end power, but shoudl zoom along down the highway. BUT my question, why so much tire if you are going to run down the highway and not the trail?

I found a good deal on 35's and would use them on the highway and throw the 33's back on for the trails only wheel the truck about 2 times a month. So I should do it?

Most people on here agree that 35s are best moved by 4.88s. I'm going to be running 4.88s to push my 33s. I'd imagine that your power will suck and the transmission will be even less able to use OD causing worse gas mileage as your engine has to work harder and burn more fuel to move.

Here's some reading on what one of our more knowledgeable members has to say on it.: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46901&highlight=gearing
With a little searching you'll find many threads regarding gearing vs tire size

I'm running 35's and 4.10's but not because I want to but I'm building my new axles right now. Its not bad but mileage sucks in town, highway just a little. I have plenty of take-off power(can lite up the BFG's but wont) and it wheels in the rocks just fine.

With all that said, I still can't wait for the 4.88's

I can tell you 33s and 3.55s sucks...no power, but it wheels fine, and mileage sucks. Can't wait to get my D44 in and my 4.88s up front...

I have 35's w/ 4.10's at the moment. Like said above, it is not my ideal set up, but until I get my full width swap completed it is just what I have. Been wheeling for 2 years w/ 33's and 4.10's and just bumped to 35's in the early part of this year. It does OK for the trails and rocks we have around here. I wheeled Winterfest with this set up and did fine. Ideally I would like deeper gears, but these work for the time being. I rarely drive on the highway, but when I do I do notice the OD being more labored, and as far as milage...whats that? :D When I go full width 5.29's are on the agenda :D

i ran 35's and 4.56 for a bit, then got rid of them and went back to 33's because i didnt like the gearing... the engine and tranny labored a lot more, and highway milage decreased.

I found a good deal on 35's and would use them on the highway and throw the 33's back on for the trails only wheel the truck about 2 times a month. So I should do it?

Maybe it's just me but that seems a$$ backwards lol...

I'm running 35's and 4.56's and it seems about stock if my butt dyno remembers correctly...

Your gas mileage will suck with the 4.10's and 35's. I ran that setup for a little over a year. Now I am running 4.56's and 35s (actually only measure out to about 33), and that really isn't ideal either. Its decent, but could be better.

Im running 33's and 3.55's and it lost very little to no power. Maybe its cause I don't really pay attention to it. And on the plus im still making 15-17 MPG city.

Im running 33's and 3.55's and it lost very little to no power. Maybe its cause I don't really pay attention to it. And on the plus im still making 15-17 MPG city.

sorry, but thats impossible.

same engine, same gearing, but increased the final output ratio of the gear train and it has the same power as it did with stock tires????

I agree getting that kinda mileage with 33s and 3.55 gears is impossible. I have 31s and I get about 12.5-13.5 city and at best 15.5 on the highway doin about 70-75 and thats if its a good day. I have seen as low as 12.5 on the highway if its a bad day and I am having to fight the wind. So 15-17 city with 33s and 3.55 gears is impossible unless you have done something you are not mentioning and the only thing that would make that much of a difference is a stroked motor.

I can tell you 33s and 3.55s sucks...no power, but it wheels fine, and mileage sucks. Can't wait to get my D44 in and my 4.88s up front...

i run 33 mt's that are quite heavy and i find that i have plenty of power for regular city driving. im also on 3.55's

My last Jeep sported 35"MTR's and 4.10's... AND a Crane Cam with High Compression Pistons... Take the others advice, and go numerically higher, like the 4.88's. Even with the extra power, the 4.10's still kinda sucked.

Eric

i run 33 mt's that are quite heavy and i find that i have plenty of power for regular city driving. im also on 3.55's
Everyone has different opinions of what is good/acceptable...I still remember my Jeep on 235/75s being a very quick vehicle. Moved up to 30s and felt power fall off some but mileage stayed around 18 combined. My Focus now could almost keep up. Now on the 33s and I don't know what my mileage is, haven't worked out the odo correction yet, but I fill up a lot more frequently than with the 30s, and power has fallen off very noticeably. The Focus isn't running currently, but I am convinced it would beat my Jeep quite handily now. And no, it's not one of the nicer ones, it's a little 103hp LX base model...

I have 35's and the factory gearing yet. Other then needing 4low more, it isn't that bad. It still has plenty of get up and go. I might regear soon though, but only because I want to go up to 37's.

I have 4.56 and 32s (31.7) and I will tell you, I can't imagine 35s and 4.10s or even 4.56s! Must be a dog with the 4.0. 4.56 is perfect for 32s in my opinion. I have instant power and it doesn't downshift out of OD on hills or bridges.

I have 35's and the factory gearing yet. Other then needing 4low more, it isn't that bad. It still has plenty of get up and go.

those who think 'oh, its not that bad' say that because they have not driven it with better gearing for that tire. i thought that 32s were ok with stock gearing until i regeared. once i got 4.56s in there i realized how much i HATED stock gearing with larger tires.

but saying that is likeHasta 'cause its generally a lesson that has to be learned the hard way.

It's hard for me to believe you are going to switch tires twice a month so you can wheel.

Back