• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tow Points

Rear... Get a Class III hitch...

Front...C4x4 are good.
http://www.custom4x4fabrication.com/recovery.html

Don't skimp on recovery points...you do not want them to fail when you need them most

x2 thats what i run. Don't get one of the reciever hitches that bolts together either. Get one that is fully welded that way you can also tow the full 5000 pounds an XJ is rated at instead of 3500 lbs for a bolt together hitch. The C4x4 brackets are simple to install and are fully powder coated as well.

Not meaning to hijack, but I have been curious as to why the tow hooks on the front seem to be so popular? It seems to me that people go for a hitch on the rear for recovery for some very sound reasons, one of which is that using a reciever on the rear is good because you have the rails tied together.

Yet, when it comes to the front, it seems as if most opt for tow hooks. It seems to me that although the C4X4 brackets and hooks are very good, a reciever on the front would be just as good if not better.Tow hooks do not tie together the rails therefore apply force for the most part, to only one rail at a time. It would seem to me that a hitch on the front would be a better option.

Any feedback?

Not meaning to hijack, but I have been curious as to why the tow hooks on the front seem to be so popular? It seems to me that people go for a hitch on the rear for recovery for some very sound reasons, one of which is that using a reciever on the rear is good because you have the rails tied together.

Yet, when it comes to the front, it seems as if most opt for tow hooks. It seems to me that although the C4X4 brackets and hooks are very good, a reciever on the front would be just as good if not better.Tow hooks do not tie together the rails therefore apply force for the most part, to only one rail at a time. It would seem to me that a hitch on the front would be a better option.

Any feedback?

A front reciever will work too but I have no lift in the front and very little in the rear to clear my tires, a front hitch will just rob my approach angle. The tow hooks are also cheaper and are plenty strong! Another option would be the high country d-ring mounts that a lot of guys run.

I thnk you're right on having the dual frame strength, but I think that hitches don't look good on the front and that hooks look pretty BA. I also think that the two hooks provide two points for better side pulling since the front tires turn, while the rears can't.

I thnk you're right on having the dual frame strength, but I think that hitches don't look good on the front and that hooks look pretty BA. I also think that the two hooks provide two points for better side pulling since the front tires turn, while the rears can't.

also its easier for me to take my Tow hook brackets off(as opposed to a hitch) when i put a front bumper on it! :D

Any feedback?

I believe there are a couple of factors here.

1. Hooks are normally cheaper than front receivers
2. Normally there is loss of ground clearance
3. Normally there is also a loss of approach angle
4. Everybody has dreams of a front winch and bumper in the future

I believe there are a couple of factors here.

1. Hooks are normally cheaper than front receivers
2. Normally there is loss of ground clearance
3. Normally there is also a loss of approach angle
4. Everybody has dreams of a front winch and bumper in the future
5. If you hook your strap to both hooks on the front you're still pulling off both rails. That's what I usually did if I was going to be getting pulled with any force.

I have the hi country off road d-ring mounts I like them. They work well for what they are and you don’t have to worry about a hook thru your tow strap and there customer service rocks. I ask if he could have these to me in less then a week as I need something in a hurry and he delivered. as soon as the wife gets home I will try to post some pics up for you guys.

Last edited:
Back