• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welding 8.25 axle tubes?

mcdavid123

NAXJA Forum User
Just picked up a 29 spline 8.25 to replace my 27 spline and am wondering if it's worth welding the tubes to the housing? I'm running 3.55's / 31's and plan on putting a No-Slip in it. Down the line at most i'll be swapping in 4.56's and run 33's.

Now if it is worth welding (figured why not, while its out), does anyone know the best way to go about doing this? Is MIG ok or should it definitely be Arch'd? I've read that if the housing is cast steel, you're good to go but cast iron needs some careful attention. Anyone know which the 8.25 is?

I tried searching but didnt really come up with anything on the 8.25. If anyone has any previous links they could shoot me or any insight that would be great.

Thanks in advance

Im not going to tell you to "do it" but if you GOING TO i would suggest arch welding as very strong.

But thats about all i have to say.

-PJ-

I was looking at doing the same thing and after research and asking on the forum there has only been one documented case of the 8.25 tubes spinning. And I figure a Truss would do just as good of a job.

The pumpkin needs to be pre-heated before welding. A torch to heat the thing up is what most people do, (stay a way from an arch welder on the axle).

I have not yet installed a truss but I am looking at the TNT universal Truss.

I just did this on a guy's 8.8 a few weeks ago. Ground the tubes and edge of pumpkin clean, ran 4 1" long beads at 12, 3, 6, and 9 o'clock on each tube to pumpkin area, it came out fine. Used a 220 V mig machine dialed up a bit for penetration, didn't bother with the pre-heat.

I suppose the actual proof is in him wheeling it for years with no problems, but it sure took the bead well and looked purdy.

I also haven't heard of this being an issue on the 8.25", but it most definitely is on the Ford 8.8". I don't know that I'd bother if there's no ongoing problem with spinning the center section on the 8.25".

Thanks for all the quick input. I too have only read of one instance where an 8.25 has twisted but that it's a necessity on the 8.8. I might just forget about welding it for now, I dont foresee anything too hardcore in its future.

But just in case, for future references, what kind of rod/wire should be used to do this type of welding?

thanks again

Folks in the know say to pre-heat the casting and use a high nickel rod. I've had decent luck with a mig unit running higher power than usual and basic .035 wire. I have pre-heated cast in the past using the same basic mig wire, didn't notice a difference.

You might also look up spray transfer welding.

Just in case some people may not have seen this before, here is the one and only documented case of a spun 8.25.

674032842405_0_BG.jpg

288522842405_0_BG.jpg

Do does the pumpkin spin on both tubes? Or in the cases of the Ford 8.8 will it rotate one of the tubes with the pumpkin and brake off the leaf spring perches and shocks? I was wondering if an Axle truss would do any thing for this?

Back