• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Low Gear 242?

Flyfisher

NAXJA Forum User
My NP242 has issues, I think bent front output shaft. Looking to rebuild it, or a JY unit...wondering if someone makes a low gear upgrade. It's 2.73:1 (I think)...would love to find a way to rebuild one with 4.00:1.

My jeep is an '89 Wagoneer LTD (XJ)...just re-geared front D30 to 4:56 with an Eaton E-Locker, and put in a Ford 8.8 with an Ected E-Locker in the rear. Mod includes a Tom Woods SYE and custom CV driveshaft for rear. Newly rebuilt front driveshaft.

Any help/hints are appreciated...want it to be a good daily driver, as well as a capable off-roader.

thanks for the help!

Some time back you could send the front half of your 242 to Teraflex and they'd machine it to accept the 4:1 gears. I've got one in my 96 and absolutely love it with air lockers. Snow and sand are awesome with fulltime 4wd and open diffs. :D

I don't know if they'll still do it, but there are many more than a few of those cases running around out there.

Your best bet is probably to get a cheap JY or private party used one and swap over what's bent/broken. I've swapped several parts between the one in my rig and the donor one I picked up awhile back. I haven't heard of the Tera-Flex mod, but it sounds interesting. Do you have a manual trans? I've found the 2.72 + 4.88 R&P with the AW4 in mine to be very comfortable in rocks. Any lower might be too low for most wheeling. I'd likely feel different if I had a manual. Let us know if the Tera mod is still available.

OK....I'll check into the Teraflex mod. I am happy with the 2.72:1 low range with my 4.56 gears, but a 4:1 low range would be awesome (while I'm at a re-build anyway). Will let you all know.

OK....I'll check into the Teraflex mod. I am happy with the 2.72:1 low range with my 4.56 gears, but a 4:1 low range would be awesome (while I'm at a re-build anyway). Will let you all know.

Keep us updated on how that works out. I'd be curious to know if Teraflex is still able to complete this mod.

Scott

Back