• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny swap help..

kingskippy2001

NAXJA Forum User
I did the search now I still have questions. I have an '86 XJ, with the 2.8 V6 in it. My tranny blew up today. I don't have the money to rebuild it right now, and since the motor is a Chevy, can I put a 700R4 from an Chevy S10 and a NP231 TC from the same S10? Will it be "pretty much" an easy swap? Anyone tell me about driveshaft issues? Thanks

You should consult a doctor, and maybe even have some a meeting with a real psychologist before you decide. A tranny swap is a really serious surgery, and its permanent. No going back once you are post op.

LOL.... sorry about that. I doubt the 700R4 trans you were asking about will work in your cherokee, as I believe it is longer than your current transmission. Its hard to say. Even if it did fit, the shift linkage and etc probably wouldn't work. I am not sure if the v6 Xjs had computer controlled trans or not, but that would probably be something else that wasn't compatible.

i have a 84 that i swapped from manual to auto , so my wife could drive it.

I don't think that chevy is going to work. because:

a: linkage is different.
b: length

unless you want to modifiy the drive shafts and linkage. then yes it will work.

no computer control

I have XJ an S10's.

Your 86 XJ has an A904 and the S10 700R4, they are compatible.

As stated linkage and driveshaft length and angle will be issues but you'll have to measure and work with it.

What model S10 is your donor? Cab and box? Those will make the length differences and cross member will most likely have to be adjusted.

Glad to help.

Back