• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 60's are HEAVY!

Jump This

Just another minion!
As most of you know, I work alone in my garage. When I get projects that require more than one set of hands I need to come up with ways to get it done.
I picked up a 60 yesturday from XJKevin (thanks for the deal bud!) It took four of us to load it, this is how I got it unloaded!
dscn0803.jpg

Since I have a lift in the garage.....

dscn0805.jpg

Then just set it down on my axle rack.
dscn0806.jpg

Now I can get started on cutting it up!
:cheers:

Try a 14 bolt! Me and a buddy picked up a couple of axles for his '72 1/2 ton to 3/4 ton Chevy p/u project (4 of us to load them) and had to unload them with just the 2 of us! Thinking back now........what the hell were we thinking!--------Hans

Wish I had a D60. And a lift. And the skills to make it all work. :D This going into your XJ? Full width, or getting narrowed?

damn, when you said you had a lift, you meant a lift, sweet set up Rick,

You should try Crackers 609 front..

Its probably 600 pounds.

OK.....so what are the plans? Is it totally stock? It has some nice black paint on it.......

Using a lift, that's cheating. Anyone who can't muscle a D60 out of the bed of a pick up, around the garage, and get it installed by themselves doesn't deserve one. :wave:

:D

OK.....so what are the plans? Is it totally stock? It has some nice black paint on it.......

Using a lift, that's cheating. Anyone who can't muscle a D60 out of the bed of a pick up, around the garage, and get it installed by themselves doesn't deserve one. :wave:

You forget I'm an old cripple.
Presently the axle is stock. Really, the only thing that will be left is the pumpkin and most of the axle tubes, the rest will be new.
And shouldn't you be out sunning yourself someplace?

You forget I'm an old cripple.
Presently the axle is stock. Really, the only thing that will be left is the pumpkin and most of the axle tubes, the rest will be new.
And shouldn't you be out sunning yourself someplace?

Thats what gets me sometimes... Dont know if you paid anything for the axles? But by the time you go and cut either or both sides down, and go aftermarket anything, its not much more (about 350$ or so) to just get a aftermarket stronger and better clerance pumpkin and then go from there?

Unless you have the tools and time to remove the inner and outer C's and lathe out the remaining tube from inside and reuse them? if you do that you save maybe another 400$..

But in any case I agree they are heavy. my 14b was fun by my self to unload and redo and setup and install in my xj.. just man up...

Thats what gets me sometimes... Dont know if you paid anything for the axles? But by the time you go and cut either or both sides down, and go aftermarket anything, its not much more (about 350$ or so) to just get a aftermarket stronger and better clerance pumpkin and then go from there?

Unless you have the tools and time to remove the inner and outer C's and lathe out the remaining tube from inside and reuse them? if you do that you save maybe another 400$..

But in any case I agree they are heavy. my 14b was fun by my self to unload and redo and setup and install in my xj.. just man up...

Its a rear 60.
No 'C's' to remove, but I do have a lathe and mill available to me when I pick up the front 60. I do agree about the costs. The parts I will be spending the money on will be transferable to a new housing when I get around to that. If work wasn't so slow, I wouldn't bother going this route (I'd buy a whole new buggy!)

Its a rear 60.
No 'C's' to remove, but I do have a lathe and mill available to me when I pick up the front 60. I do agree about the costs. The parts I will be spending the money on will be transferable to a new housing when I get around to that. If work wasn't so slow, I wouldn't bother going this route (I'd buy a whole new buggy!)

Have you priced out used buggies these days?

It seems that it is WAY cheaper.

D60 front housings shortened are going as cheap at $600 on PBB these days too.

Have you priced out used buggies these days?

It seems that it is WAY cheaper.

D60 front housings shortened are going as cheap at $600 on PBB these days too.

I know its wayyyy cheaper, but I have never bought anyone elses project in my entire life, and even if I wanted to, the Finance Minister wouldn't let me buy a buggy!
(She is such a bitch!)

I know its wayyyy cheaper, but I have never bought anyone elses project in my entire life, and even if I wanted to, the Finance Minister wouldn't let me buy a buggy!
(She is such a bitch!)

I know you can make it work ;)

Its already in the garbage!
The only parts that stay are the axle tubes and the pumpkin.

You really should employ Troy to shave that while it is bear. Takes Troy an afternoon and he already has the rod. Give him a buzz.

BTW, when you pick up the alignment bar, you have to pick up my (empty) housing ;)

Back