• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

302 or 350 ?

lorax81

NAXJA Forum User
I need to replace ol'blews motor. i pulled it and its too far gone to rebuild without boring and strokin and dumpn @$$ loads of money into. However i do have a rebuilt EFI 302 out of a 90 brocon and a sb carbed 350 that i rebuilt and never did anything with. i need info on which is easier which would fit better and what i would need to pull it off

The 302 would probably fit better but the 350 would have much better torque which is more desirable. I don't know exactly what is needed to do the swap or which would be easier but I'd go with the 350 myself.

the 350 will be easier. Neither one will be EASY though. Both will require a transmission and t-case swap, new wiring, and cooling upgrades. Your stock gauges will no longer work without a lot of work.

I would read this:
http://www.novak-adapt.com/knowledge/xj_swap.htm

after reading it, I decided to stroke a 4.0 to 4.7 instead of doing a 350 swap. I had a free 350 as well. I had thrown the #6 rod through the block and was in need of a new motor.

There is a guy up in Michigan that runs a Cherokee with a 454. He doesn't have 4wd anymore, but he runs it with great big paddle tires and a 9" rear as a dune buggy up at the Silver Lake Sand Dunes. I think retaining 4wd would be much more difficult.

You might not have to change anything but the engine, Advanced Adaptors has kits for hooking many engines to many transmissions. The 350 will definately be easier, as you don't want to deal with making the EFI work. It's been done, I dunno what all is involved in making it fit. Certainly some fabricated mount work, and it might not fit in there without the most expensive headers known to man.

I doubt they have an adapter to fit an aw4, they do have adapters to fit an ax15, but for the price you might as well buy a 7chebbie auto or 5 speed, unless you are in love with the ax15(if he has it)

There is a guy here in Spokane that has a 350 in his. It actually fits in there pretty good! He is still running the stock radiator with dual stock electric cherokee fans. He said it never overheats on him. I can get you in touch with him if you want to find out more info!

Back