• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need some help

Swamprat

NAXJA Forum User
im having some fabrication work done to my jeep soon. and while im redoing the rusty floor pan in the cargo area, im wanting to run my shocks through the floor. does anyone know, or have some advise on running shocks for a 6-7" lift through the floor? i know im going to have to run lower mounts on the U-bolt plates. but i would love some input before i start chopping.

thanks, Ian

You will need to know where the upper mount should end up. At that point you can decide how you are going to attach the shock.
The idea is to think it through, look at where your frame rail is, look at where your lower mount will be, how long your shocks are etc etc.
Put all that information that YOU have and then picture what you need to do.
Once you have an idea, post it up here and see what kind of input you get.

Hope that helps.

Rick

well i have the shocks already, i think i should measure what there at now. and at full extended, then find where i want them to sit in the end. like 4" down and what ever up. then measure from where the lowers bolt on to where i want them to go and see how much i gain. then from the U-bolt plate to the floor, compare and then cut the floor and do some mock up.

Personally I would make my lower shock mounts and take my springs apart minus the main leaf bolt it togther jack the axle to full bump measure your shocks compressed that will tell you how high your upper mount will be. If your shocks are the same as your travel numbers it will match the angel your axel travels through suspension movement if they are shorter you will need to lean the shock more forward so you can use all your travel. I hope that makes sense...
-Chad

measure the auctual compressed length. then put the axel on the bump stop, with your new lower shock mounts made measure from that eye hole up (preferable the angel of suspension travel) that will give you your shock location roughly. now if you have 12inch travel shocks and 12 inches of rear travel thats where you should mount the shocks. if you have 10 inch travel shocks and 12 inches of travel you will need to lean the shocks forward to get full use of your travel without botteming out your shocks.

i just did this on mybaja bug i found it eaiser to cut a large hole where i thought it was needed to be take measurements through the body make the shock mounts (tacked togther) and cycle the suspsion to make sure it cycles properly (not using the shock as a limit strap or a bump stop) if all is well burn in the shock hoops and mount mount the shocks. now its time to fill in the the extra sheetmetal.

so pretty much you said to measure the length as it sits on stock, then mark that length from my new lowers?

you can make the lowers regard less of the shock lenght just copy one of the jeep speed rigs lower mounts (spring plate style) that would be my starting point.

Desertrunner has the best advice for this to get you mounts made in the right places. You DO NOT want to use your shocks for bumps if you make your upper mounts too low.

Back