• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vacuum leak fixed, still only defrost

ytodd70

NAXJA Forum User
New to me 95, no cruise and all HVAC only out of the defrost vents.

Did the search thing here, went to the garage and found the typically cracked up vac house by the battery. Fixed it, and now the cruise works perfect, but still only air out of the defrost vents.

Help, what do I try next?

move your seat all the way forward so your face is close to the windshield?
sorry, i couldnt resist. someone else will chime in im sure
and welcome to naxja

Just to the right of the steering wheel under the dash there is a vacuum servo motor that controls the vent positions. I located the right color one, i think it was blue, removed it from the servo, and plugged it with a golf tee. fixed it. Dont ask me how taking one of them out of play fixed it but it did. Solid airstream out of the vent that you want now.

Just to the right of the steering wheel under the dash there is a vacuum servo motor that controls the vent positions. I located the right color one, i think it was blue, removed it from the servo, and plugged it with a golf tee. fixed it. Dont ask me how taking one of them out of play fixed it but it did. Solid airstream out of the vent that you want now.

Interesting.. I've been trying to track down a vacuum leak in my system for months now, and I'm pretty convinced it's in the dash somewhere. I'm gonna check this out tonight.. hopefully it's in there.

Can you hear any vacuum hissing as you move the function lever left and right? If not, there's probably still a leak somewhere, and if you found one, I'll bet there's at least one more. Is the 'football' in the front bumper in good shape? You're going to have to examine the whole system.

I was playing around with the line going through the firewall, had it disconnected, and when I hooked it back up heard a clunk, and now everything works great. Jeep thing I guess.

There is a vacuum line T right above and to the left of the heater core inlet and outlet, to the right of the washer fluid bottle. A line runs from this T to the heater control panel. If the fitting is pushed on too far or the small black vacuum line is pushed too far into the L shaped vacuum fitting you won't have any vacuum running to the HVAC panel. Check there. I had that problem and looked everywhere before I found this to be the cause of the problem. Either that or the small black vacuum line running from this T connection to the HVAC panel is clogged or kinked somewhere behind the dash.

Or your HVAC panel has a leak where all of the vacuum lines connect to the back of it. It is also possible that you could have a leak at one of the vacuum vent motors but that is not likely since none of them work.

Back