• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New Guy - Shackle angle ???

a1racer

NAXJA Forum User
i want to use a mj main leaf to try to get my shackle angle back to normal. my jeep has about 4.5 inches of lift in the back
weldingcart011.jpg

is this an option or is the shackle box a better idea. thank you aaron

Re: new guy tried the search just want a link

Lift issues are not my area of expertise, but try posting in the modified tech section 90% of the topics there are lift related.

Re: new guy tried the search just want a link

a random pic of your jeep is not very helpful with a question about shackle angles. put up a pic of the shackle angle that you say is bad.

i was running a stock xj shackle with my 4.5" lift springs and my shackle angle was terrible. the leaf eye was striking the back of the shackle box causing a loud thump when it hit. my solution was not to change or modify my leaf springs, but to get a longer shackle. this allowed the shackle to be at lesser angle than the stock one and no longer allows the eye to strike the box.

i believe that MJ leaves are longer than xj leafs. using a longer main leaf than what you have now would not help your shackle angle. it would make it much worse.

1) I put this into Mod Tech for you - since you're more likely to get a better answer here.

2) They're right - a random pic won't do. A picture may be worth a thousand words, but it's no help if the words are off-topic. Take a picture of the shackle (with an angle-finder in pic, if you have one!) and take some measurements of the leaves as well (leaves are usually measured in two sections - from the centre of one eye to the centre pin, and then likewise from the other end, both along the curve of the spring. An "eye-to-eye" measurement would be a chord length, or a straight-line measurement from the centre of one eye to the centre of the other.)

Help us help you - it usually takes better information to get more useful answers!

sorry it was dark but here is a pic
shakleangle005.jpg

shakleangle004.jpg

they are rough country shackles and procomp 3.5 inch lift leafs. the angle is pretty crappy about maybe 10 or less degrees to the back.

that angle is better than mine! :p drop the leafs two the second hole

what he said^ or get some longer leafs, or drop the shackle box a little, i have mine fairly close to yours and i dont think it rides that horribly and still flexes nice

sorry it was dark but here is a pic
shakleangle005.jpg

shakleangle004.jpg

they are rough country shackles and procomp 3.5 inch lift leafs. the angle is pretty crappy about maybe 10 or less degrees to the back.

Your shackles are too straight down to have the flex one would want. They need to be angled back. I would propose getting Boomerangs.

that angle is better than mine! :p drop the leafs two the second hole
That would make it worse. See how the second hole is farther back than the first? You don't think he's going to be able to stretch the leaf to reach farther back, do you? No, he's going to have to pull the shackle forward to meet the leaf spring, therefore decreasing the angle even more.

Your shackles are too straight down to have the flex one would want. They need to be angled back. I would propose getting Boomerangs.
What RCP said... a boomerang shackle won't help either. He's going to need to change the location of the upper (relocate the shackle mount closer to the front of the Jeep) or the lower mount (longer main leaves).

Billy

Thanks for all the replys guys and there was some good info. I think the shackle box is the way to go. But can I use my shakles and keep the same ride height.

Back