• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusted pannels under fender flares, what are my options... pics inside

speedyp

NAXJA Forum User
Hi

I took off my fenders flares to remove some rust and then I plan on painting the whole jeep. TO my suprise 2 of the fenders are really rusted. I am not sure what to do from here. I am not able to put back the fender flares and just walk away from this problem . I want to fix this and then paint.

option 1 : Could trim the fenders ?
option 2 : I could replace the front fender seems pretty straight foward and then remove the rust from the rear one and fix it using sheet metal and welding/pop rivets then put the flares back on.

This is what I am thinking about.... please help me out !

Here are the pics of the fenders

DSC01147.jpg

DSC01148.jpg

holy cow! mine's much better than yours looks, however your rocker panels looks much better than mine (mine's almost gone!)

Hi

I took off my fenders flares to remove some rust and then I plan on painting the whole jeep. TO my suprise 2 of the fenders are really rusted. I am not sure what to do from here. I am not able to put back the fender flares and just walk away from this problem . I want to fix this and then paint.

option 1 : Could trim the fenders ?
option 2 : I could replace the front fender seems pretty straight foward and then remove the rust from the rear one and fix it using sheet metal and welding/pop rivets then put the flares back on.

This is what I am thinking about.... please help me out !

Here are the pics of the fenders
:puke:

hehe what are you barfing at ? the rust ? the color ? or the white walls ? hehe.

Just an update, it's comming along I decided to trim the front and raise the fender flare. That is almost done. I think it will look pretty good !

Next is to do the same to my other front fender which is in perfect shape right now.

I will atack the rear tommorow. I trimmed some rust out of there. I will fab some new brackets for the fender flairs and then sand , prime , paint. I think It will be ok. The bad news is that I was rusted through the seam at some places. I will cover that up with some new metal sheating so water does not go in.

The rust man. I have not seen that much rust on a jeep EVER. haha But then again i do live in colorado. I need to figure out a way to put my flares back on. How are you doing it?

I don't know what your fab skills or equipment situation is but on the rear flares I'd cut out all the rust. Then remove the plastic inside panels and carpet in the back, put some sheet metal in place and weld it in place. If you do that through the entire rear wheel well it will give it a nice clean look.

The rust man. I have not seen that much rust on a jeep EVER. haha But then again i do live in colorado. I need to figure out a way to put my flares back on. How are you doing it?

hehe ya i live in canada and for the year its actually in pretty good shape.. can you imagine ! ya salt is hardcore.

My front is done. I trim cut all the rust out. Fab a couple brackets/metal sheating and raised the front flare. It look pretty good ! the rear is alot more work.

I don't know what your fab skills or equipment situation is but on the rear flares I'd cut out all the rust. Then remove the plastic inside panels and carpet in the back, put some sheet metal in place and weld it in place. If you do that through the entire rear wheel well it will give it a nice clean look.

I am fabing all bunch of sheating. Couple more hours of work and I should have that one done also. What I did is I trimmed out the realy bad parts, now I need to created some sheat metal and brackets so I can put my flares back on. half done right now ... it's a challenge, but i'm learning alot and i'm enjoying it !

seems like a good excuse to me to trim!

Then stuff 33s on her!

+1

not 33s but I just bought 2 nice tires 235/75/15 wild spirit... 80$ for 2 of those almost new ..could not pass that up ... It a whole lot better than my white walls car tire i got on right now hehe
! Now I need to find 2 more !

I'll post some before and after pics once im done !

Back