• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Do you have a '97 XJ??

Original_MudButt

NAXJA Forum User
I need a picture of your catalytic converter and/or dimensions.....

Does anyone know the difference between the cat on a '97 and my '98??

I can only find aftermarket cats to '97 and the dealer wants $625.00 for a new cat.

I'm in California so I have to have the new CARB compliant OBDII cat and I can't find one outside of a dealer.....

Thanks.

A law went into effect earlier this year that has effectively eliminated the sale of aftermarket CATs in CA. A few of the manufacturers have gone through the new certification process but the prices are pretty outrageous.

I don't think there's any difference between the 97 and 98s. Most of the aftermarket suppliers I checked won't ship to a CA address regardless.

Which cat, are you talking the one under the passanger seat? I've got a 97 that's missing the cat & I priced it at like $70 on ebay for a cat with the bung for the 02 sensor.

Of course I'm not in Cali.

SleeperXJ,

Went to the Midas dealer around the corner..... No dice, dealer item only...

cher96,

Good call, they are different

dagr8tim,

I tried Ebay..... But I live in Cali so no dice.

What seems odd is that there is one that is CA legal on Ebay but doing some research I found thier listing to be wrong.

The cat will fit the 4.0 L6 up to '97 after that it will only fit the 2.5 and the Grand Cherokee. Go figure....

So unless anyone else has any ideas, I'll have to go to the dealer and take it in the shorts.:flamemad:

Thanks for your help.......

If you have family or a friend out of state, you could have them buy it and then ship it to you. Even with the double shipping, it will be cheaper.

If you have family or a friend out of state, you could have them buy it and then ship it to you. Even with the double shipping, it will be cheaper.

The problem is that I believe you need the sticker that comes with the approved part when it comes to inspection time.

magnaflow/carsound make a CARB legal cat, its around 200$

The problem is that I believe you need the sticker that comes with the approved part when it comes to inspection time.
In theory, how are they going to know when the cat was installed.. could have been installed last year.

Hmmm... Don't recall seeing that part of it earlier. I replaced my CAT last summer before the law went into effect.

I did a quick Google and found the link to the ARB site that has a link to the markings on the cat in case anyone is curious.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermktcat/aftermktcat.htm

I still have the cat I took off and it has the markings. The new one I have on does not. Hope I don't have problems next year. Maybe not since mine's an 88 (pre -OBDII)

In theory, how are they going to know when the cat was installed.. could have been installed last year.

Installed, they don't. But if you look at the link I posted above, it will have a manufacture date. If the date's after 1/1/2009, it better have the rest of the CA legal markings.

Hmm, just put a new cat on my sons 97TJ today, cost was $120 for the cat and about 2 hours labor for me in the driveway.

X2, I just bought one and I am in CA too.
It's the cheapest and best way (IMO) to get the cat replaced. I'm running a straight pipe right now. I'll put the cat in when it comes time to do smog.

You know I've never had a smog guy crawl under any of my vehicles to check to see a production date... I've had them check timing or stare at my "aftermarket airfilter system" but I think bringing the vehicle hot so it auctially passes would keep them from wanting to take A look at the cat.?

Back