• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tranny cooler question

bcmaxx

NAXJA Forum User
Installing a transmission cooler this afternoon just wondering which line is the return line to trans? top or bottom? I want to run the aux cooler before the rad cooler. Thanks!

On my 96 with an AW4 its the lower line on the radiator for return.

I am doing a tranny cooler myself but am bypassing the radiator all together. I found a Tran cooler that is 30,000 GVW and will fit very nice in our wide but slim grill areas.

http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/4921-1.html

Its a Plate and fin style with 3/8s barbed side ports.

Just thought I would let you know if you have not already purchased the cooler.

Thanks for that! I figured it out, I used a 16,000# cooler mounted on the aux fan side of the rad, i still have enough room for a small power steering cooler up there.

Yeah With the stress put on my tranny while rock crawling plus the towing I will be doing down the road with the camp gear trailer I chose to dedicate a cooler to the tranny. I also installed a tranny temp gauge on the out line. That has already been a saver.

From what i have read up on for tranny cooling a 16K cooler inline with the radiator will be more than enough.

As for the PS cooler I am already running one. I used a Ford Explorer OEM tranny cooler. Boneyard $10. I just had to trim a bit on the front nose bezel. It is built like it belonged in an XJ after bending the upper tab.

PScooler1.jpg

PScooler14.jpg

PScooler13.jpg

PScooler11.jpg

Nice looking install!

I used the B&M pieceas I wanted the cold-fluid bypass that is built-in. Also, added MAGNEFINE filter which I highly recommend. The oil analyst I use states that this filter can be changed annually (or whenever fluid is changed) and avoid changing the pan filter, which is really only a screen.

http://www.emergingent.com/subpage1Magnefine.htm

I used a DERALE power steering cooler and mounted it behind one of the grille vertical bars, also same filter. Constructed all hoses as a harness to facilitate install & remove. With annual or 25k changes, it is a snap to drain either system with hose length built to accommodate same.

No more pan drop.

Back