• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help with a Frozen Ball Joint Tomorrow..

Monkey55

NAXJA Forum User
Hey,

Is there anyone who can help me with a frozen lower ball joint tomorrow?

I'm pretty much at my wit's end. :banghead: I rented the proper tool from Kragen. So I know it's not that. I think I jacked it up when I tried taking it out the first time. :dunno:

I'm guessing it needs to be cut or drilled out. So, if someone has experience removing frozen ball joints and could help me out tomorrow, that would be COOL!!!

The top one came out ok and I suspect the other lower ball is probably frozen too.

I'm at the point where I'm really not looking for suggestions. :gonnablow

btw - I'm in Lakewood

Thanks,
E

Last edited:
Have you tried a BFH?

Put tension on the BJ tool then smack the C with a BFH. A lot of times that will break it free.

The other popular method is to heat the C with a propane torch.

I did do the BFH 8 ways to Tuesday. Still a No-Go.

I did heat it up, but this is where I need someone who has done it before. I was a bit conservative. I didn't want to weaken the knuckle. Believe me, I really don't know when too much is TOO MUCH. (I've been know to go overboard on stuff before.)

The axle came from a XJ that came from a rust belt state.

E

I did do the BFH 8 ways to Tuesday. Still a No-Go.

I did heat it up, but this is where I need someone who has done it before. I was a bit conservative. I didn't want to weaken the knuckle. Believe me, I really don't know when too much is TOO MUCH. (I've been know to go overboard on stuff before.)

The axle came from a XJ that came from a rust belt state.

E

Gotcha. Start soaking it with some PB Blaster.

Gotcha. Start soaking it with some PB Blaster.

I've been hitting it with PB Blaster. Maybe by tomorrow, it'll loosen some of the rust.

Also, I may have mushroomed part of the ball joint that's stopping it from coming out. I couldn't tell because it started getting dark on me.

This may seem odd, but soak it in model airplane fuel.

it penetrates probably 30 times better than pb..

I suggest you drill out the top of the joint and try to remove the shaft through the top and then carefully cut two slots in the case of the joint with a hacksaw, then you should be able to pry it out with a prybar. If you have a die grinder and some carbide bits this would go much quicker.

This may seem odd, but soak it in model airplane fuel.

it penetrates probably 30 times better than pb..

Thanks Cal. This a new one for me..

I suggest you drill out the top of the joint and try to remove the shaft through the top and then carefully cut two slots in the case of the joint with a hacksaw, then you should be able to pry it out with a prybar. If you have a die grinder and some carbide bits this would go much quicker.

If the fuel doesn't work, I'll start cutting.

BTW - I'm still open for anyone stopping by and giving me a hand. :D

E

Hey E,
I may be able to swing by around 11 if you still need a hand.
PM me with your addy

THANKS BRENDAN!!

After some profanity, we got the ball joint off and the new ones on.
Although, it was kind of weird getting the upper back on.

Now that I tackled this and know how to cut the ball joint out if it's "stuck," I'll probably do the driver side tomorrow.

I took it for a test drive and it took away most of my death wobble.

:roflmao:

I'll send some profanity your way!

Thanks Rick.. Every little bit helped. ;)

E

Well, I couldn't wait 'til tomorrow. So, I did the driver side.... It took about an hour and a half. :yelclap:

I just need to put the caliper back on and double check all the bolts.

Thanks Again for the pointers..

E

I just checked my ball joints and i need to do all four. Damn! Im not sure if I should do all ball joints or just replace my front D30 with a non vac axle? Hmmm. . .
If you want to spend some coin I have a non disco axle that is bare that I can set up with truss and mounting brackets. PM me if you're interested.

Back