• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rusty's flex flares-rubber gasket?

DanNJeep

NAXJA Forum User
Has anybody installed the rubber "gasket" thats included with Rusty's flex flares? I'm thinking that it's not neccessary.

BTW- For all the bad reputation they have here on this forum I have to say, they were and have been great to do business with. Good customer service initially on the phone, shipped promptly, on time delivery, product was as described, etc. I'll post pics asap.

One more thing, they don't tell you they include BLACK rivets with the flares. I thought they didn't and searched all over for black rivets (head and stem) and found them on-line, ordered a bag of 250, then recieved the identical item with the flares. Oh well now I have extra.

At this point I can recomend Rusty's.

Been looking at these myself. Looking forward to pics

Sounds like the rubber gasket would be to keep any water and dirt from getting between the flare and the sheet metal, which would probably happen from the riveting process. How thick is the gasket though? I'd think if it wasn't paper thin, it wouldn't let the rivets get tight enough.

Please post pics when you are done, I've been thinking of these flares for a long time and never pulled the trigger.

Well in my case I'm from NorCal, we just don't have a corrision issue here. Hell I leave metal in the "raw" for months before I get to painting it.

It's not real thick, shouldn't be too much trouble. But I think I'm going to leave it out.

I will for sure post pics.

2001XJ0111.jpg
rusty flexy flairs

I have them. Poor fit and finish. And rear opening is a little small.
The rivits were pushed thru a piece of cardboard and spray painted, nothing special.

TJ rears are the way to go.

Well in my case I'm from NorCal, we just don't have a corrision issue here. Hell I leave metal in the "raw" for months before I get to painting it.

It's not real thick, shouldn't be too much trouble. But I think I'm going to leave it out.

What rationale could you have for not using the gasket? It would keep dirt out, and prevent the flare from scratching the paint

I've had my rustys flares on for going on 8 years now and didn't use the gasket strip thing... Still looks and performs great! it wasn't till i got 35's that i needed to trim em a bit, hardly at all actually. I'll post pics if anyone wants me to.

I've had my rustys flares on for going on 8 years now and didn't use the gasket strip thing... Still looks and performs great! it wasn't till i got 35's that i needed to trim em a bit, hardly at all actually. I'll post pics if anyone wants me to.

YES

I wouldn't say you are from NorCal and stuff rusts fast up here on the Northern California coast. Raw steel would rust the next day if left outside because it dews pretty much every morning.

Here's a few quick pictures of mine. Keep in mind, I didn't use the gasket, these are not the flexable ones (because they weren't made back then) but i'm almost positive they use the same molds to make both, And i've had them on for almost 8 years now.

100_2260.jpg

100_2255.jpg

100_2254.jpg

100_2252.jpg

after 8 years I'd say those still look pretty good. My only concern with flares is ripping them off while wheeling, we'll see how long I can get away without them

Well we didn't get as far as we expected. My heep has some particulars (you'll see in the pics) and it took us longer than expected. But the pics will be up tonight of the rears.

Agent98- I'm a little confused as to the fact you claim Rusty's have poor fit and finish and yet you say TJ flares are the way to go? I've tried the TJ's and found that no matter what I did you can't get by the fact that the TJ has a flat body and the XJ is contoured. At best the TJ flares look a little "hobbled" together. And if you run doorless what do you do then? I plan on running doorless in the future, which was another reason for choosing Rusty's.

tgoff- You're right up there corrosion is an issue. But I still live in NorCal, it's a big state!

Back