• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D30 Aussie locker install

CanMan

NAXJA Forum User
I ordered my Aussie locker a week ago, and the brown suited Santa showed up at the door today. So, I tore into the heep. This writeup is for people who have no clue on what to do when installing one. The directions that Aussie sends with the locker work great, but lack some pics. My rig is a 1991 for reference.

Tools you will need.

BFH, MFH.
3/8" ratchet (hand or air powered)
1/2" air gun or breaker bar, 1/2" ratchet
3/4" deep socket, 1/2" drive
1/2", 3/8" drive shallow socket, 12 point or 13mm 12 pt in the same variety
16mm or 5/8" deep socket, 3/8" or 1/2" drive
11/16" shallow, 6 pt socket
Punches:Steel, Aluminum, Brass
Torque wrench, in ft. lbs.
Long screw driver or prybar
Small pocket screwdriver
A few pliers
Scraper
Wire brush

Here are the tools I used.

100_2868.jpg

Opened the package, and there were all the parts needed.

100_2818.jpg

Start off by moving your junk into a place that it can be worked on. Perferably where there is some music and a fridge with a few beers close by.

100_2820.jpg

Support the axle with some good jackstands. Remove both front tires, and find a good place to store them for the time being.

100_2822.jpg

Remove the caliper, removing the caliper slide bolts, using the 1/2" or 13mm socket. Remove rotor. Remove the coter pin, then the castle nut, 3/4" socket will do. Strike the knuckle around the tie rod end, to loosen it up.

100_2823.jpg

Thier are 3 hub bolts on the back side of the knuckle. They are 13mm, 12pt bolts. I choose to use a 1/2" socket, 12pt to remove them. The 1/2"socket fit tighter, allowing it not to strip out as easily. Remove the hub and axle assembly as one.

100_2824.jpg

Next, remove the cover bolts, which are 13mm bolt heads, and drain fluid into a pan of some sort.

100_2825.jpg

Remove the main caps, using your 16mm or 5/8" deep socket. Make sure you keep the races and bearing caps on the same side as they came off as. Clean out the inside of the housing. If the carrier is tight, gently use the prybar to free it. A case spreader works good as well.

100_2827.jpg

Once you remove the carrier, remove the ring gear bolts. They are 11/16". So use a 11/16" shallow, 6 pt socket. If the ring gear does not come off, use a brass or aluminum punch on the sides, to free it.

100_2829.jpg

Remove the tension pin. I used a steel punch, that fit the hole. Tap out from the backside of where the ring gear mounts. I reccomend using a new one, but its up to you.

100_2831.jpg

Once the bar pin is out, remove the spider gears and side gears. Make sure that the thrust washers are also removed.

100_2832.jpg

You will need to reuse your side gear thrust washers, or buy new ones. I reused mine, that came in the master install when I regeared about 2 months ago.

100_2833.jpg

You can discard these washers and gears, as well as the old side gears.

100_2834.jpg

Last edited:
Re: D30 Aussie locker install.

I like to presoak parts in fresh, clean gear oil. It help the metal soak up some before going in.

100_2835.jpg

Make sure the thrust side washer are on the axle gears. Slide into the carrier.

100_2836.jpg

Make sure you install the spacers before you install the cam gears into the carrier. Do not install the pins or springs at this step.

100_2841.jpg

I found it easier to install the cam gear on the ring gear mounting side first. Then install the other side. Slide the pins in the access slot, with the nipple part up, toward the open area. Slide the springs on top of the pin. Use a small screw driver to pop them in. Get the first one in, the rest will go smooth.

100_2846.jpg

Reinstall the ring gear, using new ring gear bolts. Also, use red locktite. Torque down bolts to 60ft lbs.

100_2850.jpg

Take your Bearing caps and races and install back on the same side the as they came off of.

100_2852.jpg

If the carrier is tough going in, I found it easy to use the butt end of a hammer, the WOOD end, to tap on the races, to get them to go in farther. Also, if that doesn't work, softly use a large brass or aluminum punch to finish it. Tighten the main caps down to 65 ft lbs. At this point, you must measure the tolerances, for warranty pourposes.

100_2854.jpg

Add sealant, gasket, gasket/sealant to the cover and install. This would be a good time to install a better than stock cover. :rolleyes: Let the sealant setup before adding oil.

100_2856.jpg

Now would be a good time to clean any rust or gunk off of the hub mounting surface. Use some anit seize around it so it doesn't rust up again. Do the same on the hub itself, clean the rust off.

100_2857.jpg

100_2858.jpg

Clean the hub bolts, and use some anit seize on them too. Tighten them gutentite.
100_2859.jpg

Install hub and axle assembly, rotor, caliper, and tie rod end. Remember to use a cotter pin on the castle nut, and to pump back up the brakes before driving.

100_2861.jpg

At this point, put tires back on. Torque to spec. I do my steel ones a 100ft lbs. Let down off jackstands.

Now, since time has passed and the sealant is damn near dry, add gear oil of your choice. Do not forget this step.

Now you have a locked front end, courtesy of Aussie. I believe a lockrite install would be VERY similar, as far as the locker itself.

Search Keywords

Aussie locker
lunchbox locker
D30
Dana 30
Front end locker
Locker
Locker write up
Gears
Traction
Blah, Blah, Blah.....

Last edited:

Awesome. Thanks for that writeup; I'll actually be installing an Aussie myself in a few weeks.

I only have two questions. Is it necessary to mark the ring gear and the carrier when you separate them, or does it not matter if the ring gear doesn't go back on in the exact same location? And did the locker come with new ring gear bolts, or do those need to be purchased separately?

Mambeu said:
I only have two questions. Is it necessary to mark the ring gear and the carrier when you separate them, or does it not matter if the ring gear doesn't go back on in the exact same location? And did the locker come with new ring gear bolts, or do those need to be purchased separately?

You can mark it, and some suggest it. I did mine, just never mentioned it. So here it is, mentioned. :D

I had some ring gear bolts left over from the Master install kit. The Dana carrier came with new ring gear bolts when I geared, so I used what I had left over. The locker does not come with new bolts, so they'll have to be purchased seperatly.

Nice job 12!
Thanks for stepping up and contributing.

Awesome write up. I have been thinking about getting the Aussie for my 30 for a while, but was worried about installing it. I read the instructions on their site, but I still wasn't convinced that I could do it myself.
With this write up a lot of my doubts have been cleared and I am now just waiting for an opportunity to sneak the purchase by the wife with out her discovering it.....

:)

I would like to add that when removing carrier bearing caps not only should you keep the sides separate like you mentioned but they should also be marked for orientation, my caps are machined to go only one way propelry to the bearing caps arnt reversable in that the left cap has a top and bottom, same for the right cap

Nice write up ! I just did my Aussie install.. It went very easy as well. But, not every XJ aussie install is exactaly the same. Like, the caliper bolts on my XJ requires a T45 torx socket. I'd like to add that you need a long 3/16" punch to get that keeper/dowel that holds the center pin in. I did not have this when I did my install.. Instead I used a 3/16" drill bit. Now, if anyone tries to use this, wear safety glasses. Also, it helps to hold it with your vise grips. Also, you did not note that you measured for tolerances during your install. I think this is a important step to ensure everything will be ok, and that you wont void your warranty.

so everyone here trusts these lockers? I bought a powertrax no slip and put it in my 35 bout a year ago, and had a bad experience with it. Granted, I had my friends finish the install, so they might of done something wrong, but I'm still weary of this style. Has anyone on here had one and used it for a while, and stands behind it? I found the website, they're unbelievably cheap. I was gonna get an Ected, but now I'm reconsidering.

nice writeup, when i bought my ez locker used i couldn'nt find any instructions for it so i just put in in the way i thought it oughta go, obviously a few (ten ish) thousand miles later its working great so i must have done something right :D planning on an aussie in the rear now that the 44 is in

dan89XJ said:
Like, the caliper bolts on my XJ requires a T45 torx socket..

Yes, there are differences between years. Mine is a '91 for reference.

dan89XJ said:
I'd like to add that you need a long 3/16" punch to get that keeper/dowel that holds the center pin in. I did not have this when I did my install.. Instead I used a 3/16" drill bit. Now, if anyone tries to use this, wear safety glasses. Also, it helps to hold it with your vise grips.

Noted in the write up, having to use a punch, but the size you mentioned helps. Thanks.

dan89XJ said:
Also, you did not note that you measured for tolerances during your install. I think this is a important step to ensure everything will be ok, and that you wont void your warranty.

Yes, that is part of the instructions and warranty deal, so I did leave it out, due to the fact that you have to do it anyways for the warranty info. Also it is in the instructions, which I followed, but added pictures here to help with reading the instructions.

adamusmc2002 said:
so everyone here trusts these lockers? I bought a powertrax no slip and put it in my 35 bout a year ago, and had a bad experience with it. Granted, I had my friends finish the install, so they might of done something wrong, but I'm still weary of this style. Has anyone on here had one and used it for a while, and stands behind it? I found the website, they're unbelievably cheap. I was gonna get an Ected, but now I'm reconsidering.

We'll see how it does at Evans in a few weeks. Thier really easy to install, just a few hours. If you bought one, Id be willing to help ya out.

I found that the biggest hassel installing my Aussie locker was finding a way to clamp the ring gear and carrier down so I could torque it to spec. I ended up using several blocks of wood to support the ring gear, a couple more over the carrier and four large C-Clamps to hold it all in place while I torqued it in several stages while shifting the clamps around to gain access to the bolts.

If anyone has a simpler method I am all ears.

John

I used rubber coushions on a 4" vice. Put the flat sides in it, and torqued the ring gear bolts down that way. But if no vice is avaliable, then your method sounds like it worked. Heres a few pics.

Rubbers.

100_2870.jpg

Old 3.07 Carrier.

100_2872.jpg

awsome right up. now all i need is to find a locker.

12GAXJ: Sorry, I didnt mean to pick a part your write up. I just meant to add my input after reading your write up. I'm sure it'll help lots of people feel more comfortable of doing a install themselves.

Good point about the vise.. be sure to have a way to torque down the ring gear or you'll be in trouble :)

actually if you take off your front bumper the square sides of the carrier fit perfectly in the right side hole in the crossmember, makes a great d-30 carrier vise. we had to do this in a friends garge when we replaced his carries and after we removed the ring gear we realized that we had no vise to get it torqued on.

ive ran a lock rite in the front of my 30 w/ 456 gears and 33inch boggers with no problem at all. my 35 in the rear has one in it too and no problems either. ive ran both for two years. bang for the buck this type of locker can tbe beat

just my .02

100_2854.jpg

Nice writeup:thumbup:

Just one thing I was noticing. It looks like to me that your right side bearing cap might be upside down. The upside down K on the cap is not matching up with the housing. It seems to be rightsideup on top. Maybe just an optical illusion on my part. Anyway nice writeup again.

I all most forgot it looks like it was this way when you tore it down, so maybe it happened during you r/p install a few months ago, if it is wrong at all.:cheers:

100_2825.jpg

Sorry to bring up a dead thread, but I just have a question. Is it absolutely necessary to use new ring gear bolts? Im just wondering as I have a lockrite on the way.

Back