• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OK to use fuel line as hose for engine breather?

Blaine B.

NAXJA Forum User
Is it ok to use fuel line (about a foot or so of it) for the line that runs from the center of the engine to the left side of the airbox? I was told this is to make the engine heat quicker. The plastic line on mine snapped.

I'm talking about the hose on the left, not the right. I believe the hose on the right is a vacuum hose?

Thanks!

FYI, 1995 Jeep Cherokee.

4.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b210/bbugaski/4.jpg

As long as no vacuum is pulled, you should be fine.

Vacuum hose is designed to not collapse under negative internal pressure, but can also be used as low-pressure (1bar or less) vent line. Fuel line can collapse under suction, just so you know.

Apart from that, fuel line is used when you need a vent line, and you need something rather larger than the typical vent line. Fuel line can be used anywhere you need to vent oil vapours - for axle vents, for instance.

5-90

I never felt any suction on this line. It is the line to the left of the main intake hose running to the airbox (in the pic). Vacuum line resides on the right side of the airbox I believe.

Blaine, the plastic line you're referring to is the fresh air feed for the PCV system. It's about 9/16" OD, and as 5-90 says, fuel line will work OK to replace it. You could also use 1/2" copper water pipe for this; the same as used in plumbing houses.

Never thought about water pipe! Good idea, that's like an exact replica of the plastic tubing in terms of size and strength. But if this will work fine, I'll continue to use it. Thanks!

Back