• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can i run a front driveshaft with a np231 with SYE

benulis55

NAXJA Forum User
hey guys,

my np242 tcase has a bent output shaft, so now i have a np 231 to put in the jeep. I have to order an SYE for it now, but need to know if i can run a front drivehshaft (which is what I was set-up to do with my np242 with the H&T SYE)

also, any idea on what a tom woods SYE kit alone costs?

i found an AA SYE kit for $199, anyone see anything wrong with the AA kit? I am hoping i can run the AA kit with a front driveshaft to get away sorta cheap.

i do beleive you can... i havnt heard anything bad about AA either.

hey guys,

my np242 tcase has a bent output shaft, so now i have a np 231 to put in the jeep. I have to order an SYE for it now, but need to know if i can run a front drivehshaft (which is what I was set-up to do with my np242 with the H&T SYE)

also, any idea on what a tom woods SYE kit alone costs?

i found an AA SYE kit for $199, anyone see anything wrong with the AA kit? I am hoping i can run the AA kit with a front driveshaft to get away sorta cheap.

Depends on if your rig is auto or stick. If auto yes. If stick No. You can always get it lengthend/shortend at a shop.

I thought I heard somewhere if you have a D35 then no dice.
That is right, need a auto and a D44 or 8.25 rear end to get the proper amount of spline engagment. D35 pinion is 3/4" shorter than the other axles.

i have an 8.8, but the front DS I got from the junkyard fit pretty well with the 242, hopefully the same with the 231

So whatcha doin with that old 242? I was debating going to a 231 with AA sye and I was also told the front shaft will work. $199 was the cheapest I have found them for as well.

for that price, im buying one tomorrow!

Well I ended up doing this but have ran into some problems. I didnt realize the standard style u joint yoke on the sye is intended for the u-bolt style straps and my driveshaft with the flange set up for the HnT will not work with the sye. I tried taking off the flange but that also removes the centering ball fromthe cv joint allowing the joint to flop around.

Any ideas?

What driveshaft should be used on a manual? Why doesn't the front driveshaft work?

Back