• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can i put swap a np231 for my np242, its a 96 XJ

benulis55

NAXJA Forum User
my 242 has a bent output shaft, so i picked up a 231, other than the splines matching up what is required to swap these transfercases?

thanks guys

ps i did search but didnt find anything

my 242 has a bent output shaft, so i picked up a 231, other than the splines matching up what is required to swap these transfercases?

thanks guys

ps i did search but didnt find anything

As long as your spline count is correct, it is just a bolt in procedure!

Going from a 242 to a 231 is a bit easier. The main differences are the shifter rod on the 242 is longer (no big deal) and the shifter is gated differently but should work just fine.

You may not have the "Part Time" light when in "4 HI"(my trail rig doesnt, i switched it from 242-231) but you will in "4LOW". To get the lights working right, there are 2 ways to go about that; get the wire harness from the donor vehicle or same year/same tranny/same T-case, (this is the same harness that connects to the down stream O2 and the tranny) or you can just jump a wire from the T-case to the back of the gauge cluster to the light. I didn't bother to fix the light but I did swap the shifter and shift rod so I would have a solid feel for which mode I'm in. Now I'm getting ready to install the NOVAK shifter with my new case I'm building.

The rest of the swap is bolt in and it only takes me about a hour to pull one case and install another (I've actually done this trail-side before). The top nut and the one next to the exhaust are the hardest ones to get to, a stubby 9/16 will get the job done. The 242 wieghs more than the 231 by about 20#'s so be ready when it comes out. The 231 is light and easy to install.

Back