• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Proportioning Valves

luvherinmyjeep32

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm putting rear disc brakes on the 89 XJ, and therefore putting in a proportioning valve (PV) from the grand cherokee I got the disc brakes from.

The old PV in my NON-ABS 89 XJ has two connections for the front brakes and 1 connection for the rear brakes.

The PV from the ABS 96 ZJ has 1 connection for the front and 1 connection for the rear. Where the 2nd connection for the front is located there is a threaded plug for something but it does not appear to be a place to connect the other front brake line because it doesn't look like a seat for a double-flared connection.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

So do I need to find a PV from a NON-ABS ZJ with disc brakes?

OR

Can I run one brake line front the PV's single front brake connection and then use a "T"-connector to split the line into the two lines needed for the front? Would that be bypassing something in the ABS unit or non-ABS PV that I'm missing?

Thanks.

AFAIK, all ZJ's came from the factory with ABS. I know my 93 had ABS (didn't work, what a surprise! *L*), I'm 99% sure all ZJ's had it.

What about the PV from something without ABS, but still has 4-wheel disc brakes (like a Rubicon TJ?)

HTH!

:)

Could you be a little more specific when you say spring and meter? Or provide pictures or instructions? Thanks!

Take the bleeder off the zj prop valve (carefully, there is a loaded spring inside) and pull that spring out... that is the only thing you need to swap into your xj prop valve. the rest is the same. there is a writeup about this... i will try to find it and post it up here

g

Last edited:
I used a ZJ with ABS prop valve and pulled the plugs, I use this with my WJ booster I swapped into an '89 with ABS and I also got an 8.8 with disc at the same time, works good so far.

PM me if you want more info.

~Scott

Thanks for the help guys! This will save me some work if I can get away with just switching the proportioning valve internals. That sure would have save me some money at the junkyard if I would have known I only needed the guts.

Back